Writing to Theme: Finding the Universal Heart and Soul of Your Story
At a Glance
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
If structure is the skeleton of a story, theme is its heart and soul. It’s the reason you wrote your story, assuming you meant to convey a compelling truth about the human condition. It’s what makes your story universal and what raises it above all those that simply entertain.
If you aim to craft a story that resonates emotionally with a global audience, join award-winning UCLA Instructor Karl Iglesias as he guides you through theme and how it unifies character and plot. You’ll learn why a clearly defined theme is the foundation of a great story, how theme is different from premise, motif or subject matter, and how to find it for your story. You’ll explore the most successful and often-used themes in classic and contemporary films, and apply effective approaches to tap into the thematic argument of your story and making sure it remains “invisible” throughout the story. With so many definitions and misunderstandings, this webinar will demystify theme once and for all.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to find the “truth” of your story
- How to avoid being heavy-handed and preachy
- How theme helps you develop plot and character
- How to avoid the most common mistakes when committing to a theme
- How to create compelling emotional dilemmas for your main characters
- How to structure the emotional journey of your protagonist
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers, directors and producers who want to understand what makes a great story
- Writers who struggle with character development and arcs
- Writers who want to bring more emotional depth to their stories
- Writers who seek new techniques to make their stories more thematic
- Writers who have had their stories rejected and don’t understand why
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Karl Iglesias
Karl Iglesias is a screenwriter and sought-after script doctor and consultant, specializing in the reader's emotional response to the written page. He is the best-selling author of Writing For Emotional Impact and The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters. He teaches at UCLA Extension’s Writers' Program, where he’s just won the Outstanding Instructor Award for 20...