Writing the Superhero Movie
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Hollywood’s obsession with the comic book superhero just gets stronger and stronger. This year’s lineup of major motion pictures includes Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider Man 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Guardians of the Galaxy. In the next few years, we will see sequels to The Avengers, The Incredibles, Wolverine, and even a team-up of Batman and Superman. The superhero genre and its sub-genres have become synonymous with the blockbuster franchise films that anchor every major studio’s yearly slate, generating billions of dollars in global box-office and merchandise.
This webinar will focus on the storytelling methods employed by the screenwriters of the biggest blockbuster superhero movies. Learn the structural secrets of several recent franchises like The Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, X-Men and The Dark Knight. Contrast these mainstream blockbusters with edgier takes on the genre like Chronicle, Kick Ass and Super. Even the recent spate of young female-protagonist action movies adapted from “YA” novels exemplifies these classic elements. Make no mistake – Katniss Everdeen is a superhero!
Story Analyst Daniel Calvisi will introduce you to the Story Map, which can be found in 95% of commercial movies, and show you how to build and populate your own blockbuster world on the page, starting with a fascinating hero, a universal theme and clear, dynamic story engines to propel the reader (and international audiences) on your high-concept thrill ride! Daniel first developed this method while working for major studios like Miramax Films and Twentieth Century Fox. This structure is what readers look for on the page and how movies are edited for the screen.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to break down major movies and identify what makes them work, with a focus on the superhero movie and its unique features, such as mythical protagonists, transformative arcs, action set pieces, comic book archetypes and universal themes.
- The differences between the types of superhero movies: The solo “Superhero’s Journey” of IRON MAN...the superhero team of THE INCREDIBLES...the edgy low-budget indie of CHRONICLE...the superhero comedy of MEGAMIND or the superhero satire of KICK ASS.
- The genius behind Marvel’s “Phase One” that began with “Iron Man” in 2008 and how their slate became such an unprecedented success.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers who love the superhero genre and aspire to create or adapt their own comic book-style screenplay for the Hollywood spec market.
- Writers who want to utilize the structure used by Hollywood pros.
- Writers looking for a more practical, industry-based approach to screenwriting that applies to all genres.
- Writers who are developing a new concept and want to begin with the strongest foundation possible.
- Fanboys and Fangirls who love superhero movies!
- Date available: 04/04/2014
- Publication date: 04/04/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Daniel P. Calvisi
Daniel P. Calvisi is a story analyst, speaker, screenwriter and the author of Story Maps: TV Drama and Story Maps: How to Write a GREAT Screenplay. He is a former Story Analyst for major studios like Twentieth Century Fox and Miramax Films and works as a freelance Script Doctor. He coaches writers, teaches webinars on writing for film and television with The Writers Store and speaks at writing conferences. He holds a degree in Film and Television from the Tis...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $29.99
Details: Summer is in full swing! Now is the time for you to get inspired and start writing your big blockbuster! Superhero blockbusters have grown enormously in popularity over the last several years. With superb leading characters such as Spider-Man, Superman, and all of the Avengers, superhero movies have inspired a passionate and loyal audience. This affordable value pack contains three webinars that will help you write a successful superhero movie in Marvel-fashion. Make your superhero screenplay soar into your audience’s hearts today!