History in Action: Writing The Period Piece Script
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Period pieces are the bread and butter of the movie and television industry. Whether the time period is Prehistoric, Victorian or World War II era, stories of historic people and events continue to captivate audience’s imagination. But to write the successful period script, a screenwriter has to devote serious time to research in order to accurately portray the characters, events and details that will make an audience truly believe they are being propelled back in time.
This webinar will cover the analytical tools necessary to create a historical narrative screenplay structure that is both accurate and compelling. Tips for finding a dramatic hook to an old story will be highlighted with real life examples. This webinar will demystify the process of writing within the limitations of a specific time period to the screenwriter’s advantage. Also covered will be strategies for tackling the often arduous task of getting Hollywood interested in your period piece once your script is completed.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Tips on how to find the cinematic center in your period story.
- How to separate necessary story elements from extraneous historical detail.
- How to identifying your main characters point of view.
- How to create a timeline of historical events that serves your story.
- How to research historical archives and societies effectively.
- How to minimize expensive production elements without diluting the impact of your story.
- How to re-envision historical events from a fresh perspective.
- How to create dialogue for historical characters that is authentic without sounding wooden.
- How to market a period piece screenplay you own the rights to or that resides in the public domain.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Screenwriters who are interested in writing a compelling period piece.
- Writers who want to adapt a historical novel or story into a script.
- Screenwriters who want to research a specific time period effectively.
- Writers who want to take their historical writing skills to the next level.
- Historical Fiction novelists who want to add screenwriter to their resume.
- Screenwriters who want to increase their chances of selling a screenplay by basing their script on a historical book or novel.
- Screenwriters who want to write historical dialogue that rings true to the ear.
Participate Live or Watch Later
This webinar includes both access to the live webinar where you may interact with the presenter and the recorded, on-demand edition for your video library. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for one year. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation. In all webinars, no question goes unanswered. Attendees have the ability to chat with the instructor during the live event and ask questions. You will receive a copy of the webinar presentation in an e-mail that goes out one week after the live event. The answers to questions not covered in the live presentation will be included in this e-mail as well.
BONUS: With purchase of this webinar, you will receive $79.99 off of a yearly subscription to the Screenwriting Tutorials website, which has specialized tutorials from experts that explore screenwriting topics covered nowhere else on the web!
- Date available: 10/22/2014
- Publication date: 10/22/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Jon James Miller
Jon James Miller is an award-winning screenwriter and novelist. He loves movies “based on a true story” that are actually based on a true story. In addition to his literary work, Jon is co-owner of the newly revived, much beloved Ben Cooper, Inc. brand, taking classic Halloween costumes and vacuum formed vinyl mask magic of the past and bringing it back in a new line of Ben Cooper costume-inspired collectibles just in time for Halloween 2017. Jon is represented by Sandra Dijkstra Literary. He can be reached at email@example.com