Writing the Low-Budget, Big-Idea Sci-Fi Spec
Register today to attend this live webinar!
Live Webinar Date: Saturday, February 22, 2014
Start Time: 11am - 12:30pm PST
Length: 90 minutes
It goes by many names: low-fi sci-fi, contained sci-fi, casual sci-fi. Whatever you call it, it's a hot genre: big-concept science-fiction ideas that can be done for a relatively low investment. Examples include:
THX 1138. Memento. Pi. Another Earth. Dark City. Attack the Block. Chronicle. Moon.
The list goes on. Every studio producer, and director is looking for this genre now—and it's a fantastic way to break into the industry.
In this class, you'll learn everything necessary to balance a unique concept with a poster-ready hook, including:
- Inventing genre hybrids (crossing sci-fi with horror, faux documentary, comedy, etc.)
- Examining Primer and other low-fi sci-fis to determine how to push the genre's boundaries
- Using contained environments, minor SFX, off-screen time jumps, and other tools to stand in for expensive effects
- Enhancing character plight and dramatic irony rather than huge setpieces
- Creating a conflicted, memorable hero who represents all of us
- Adding a spark of comedy
- Expanding your idea to contain universal implications
- Use found footage or documentary styles to limit scope
By the time we're done, you'll have all the tools you need to create a memorable, high-concept, highly sellable sci-fi script...from scratch!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Twist audience expectations in the opening scene
- Open with a shocking initial image that helps establish the theme
- Create a logline that makes executives eager to read more
- Simplify your script's world by focusing on what's cool about your concept
- Continually raise the stakes with constantly moving goalposts
- Reduce all but the most essential big-budget elements
- Develop a voice on the page that's all your own
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Screenwriters hoping to develop a script that finally cuts through the clutter
- Writers with an idea that's so crazy, it might actually catch people's attention
- More experienced authors whose past scripts didn't quite ignite the response they were hoping for
- First-time filmmakers seeking a better understanding of the screenplay business
- Creators with a burning idea that has potential but isn't yet connecting with audiences
- Anyone who's eager to learn the most market-friendly screenwriting structures
HOW DOES THE WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter's computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
All you need is a computer or iOS device, and an internet connection. You’ll be able to view the presentation and listen to the audio over computer speakers; however, you’ll enjoy much better audio quality if you use a telephone. See below for complete system requirements.
To test your connection before the live webinar, visit: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/gotomeeting/help_files/GTM140010. (Click on the test session URL under Step 1.)
For Windows/PC-based users:
- Required: Windows® 7 or 8, Vista, XP, or 2003 Server
- Required: Internet connection, DSL or better recommended with bandwidth of 700Kbps or more
- Recommended Processor: 2.4 GHz or more with 2 GB of RAM or more
For iOS users:
- Required: Free GoToMeeting App from the Apple App Store
- Required: WiFi connection to use VoIP
- Required: iPad® 1 or newer, iPhone® 3GS or newer, iPod ® Touch (3rd generation) or newer
- Required Operating System: iOS 4.2 or newer
For Android users:
- Required: Free GoToMeeting App from the Google Play Store
- Required: WiFi connection to use VoIP
- Required Operating System: Android 2.2 or higher
- Recommended Processor: 1 Ghz CPU or higher
If you have questions about the webinar, please call us prior to the start time at 800.272.8927.
- Date available: 01/23/2014
- Publication date: 01/23/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Timothy Cooper
Timothy Cooper is a filmmaker, playwright, comedy writer, and teacher based in Brooklyn, New York. As the founder of Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he's worked with hundreds of writers and companies worldwide to help them sell their scripts and tell their stories through TV and film.
He wrote and directed the web sitcom Concierge: The Series, starring comedians from Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Bridesmaids, Last Comic Standing, ...