How to Write a Documentary the Right Way Webinar
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
During this webinar, Susan Kouguell will offer specific strategies for writing a documentary film. Whether you’re in the idea stage or have a draft that is about ready to shoot, writing a documentary film demands a comprehensive understanding of the genre. Documentary is a collaborative medium, which incorporates not only your writing and researching, but your subjects’ often surprising and unexpected responses.
Susan Kouguell brings to this class a unique perspective; working in various capacities in the film industry, as a writer of over a dozen feature assignments, as a story analyst and story editor at the major studios and independent production companies, as a screenplay and film consultant since 1990, and as a screenwriting and film lecturer at Tufts University. Susan will share her experiences, working on documentaries, including Louis Malle’s And the Pursuit of Happiness, and with the film studios, and Oscar and Emmy award winners, focusing on writing documentaries.
Anticipating and understanding the audience’s expectations is vital, and tips will be offered to help you keep your vision without compromising your creativity. Advice and discussion will include developing the film’s point-of-view and how to discover what your narrative really is about.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Tips on writing an attention-grabbing documentary.
- How to convey your ideas without spoon-feeding the audience.
- The importance of a clear and focused premise.
- How to avoid common writing pitfalls.
- Discussion of the various documentary styles and how your project fits in.
- Specific tools on outlining and implementing the narrative.
- Insights from other notable documentary filmmakers.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers who are looking to gain insight into writing documentaries
- Writers needing advice and inspiration about the various documentary styles
- Writers seeking guidance with implementing and organizing their ideas.
- Writers who need tips on resources and venues.
- Writers who want to challenge themselves.
- Writers and filmmakers seeking information, inspiration and guidance from an industry insider who’s been in the film trenches (and survived) for over 25 years.
- Aspiring and professional writers looking for hands-on and inspiring tools for developing and writing a successful documentary.
- Producers and directors seeking insight into the writer’s mind and work process.
- Writers, filmmakers, and producers living and working anywhere on the globe.
- Date available: 11/03/2015
- Publication date: 11/03/2015
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Susan Kouguell
Susan teaches screenwriting at Purchase College SUNY and presents international seminars, including a summer session at the Prague Film School in the Czech Republic. She is the recipient of many grants and fellowships, among them the MacDowell Colony, Edward Albee Foundation, Jerome Foundation, and New York Foundation for the Arts. Her award-winning short films are in the archives and permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art, and were included in the Whitney Museum Biennial. Kouguell worked as associate producer on two features, wrote voice-over narrations for Miramax Films, completed a dozen rewrite assignments for production companie...