Writing the Action Feature Film
At a Glance
This workshop offers comprehensive tools and insights for writing the action feature-length film. While the action genre is often equivocated with ‘simply’ daring feats and leaps into the air and off tall buildings, the reader must take the leap with the writer to suspend disbelief and jump into a script that goes beyond stereotype, one-dimensional characters and pure formula.
Understanding the fundamentals of this genre and how to make the most of it will be examined through online lectures, written assignments and creative exercises designed to both educate and inspire. Examples from blockbuster action films will be referenced to offer insights into creating suspense through action paragraphs and how to keep the audience curious and engaged without pulling false punches. Specific strategies on developing and delivering a successful action feature will include tools on implementing character and plot conflict, setting a gripping stage, moving beyond wooden and monosyllabic dialogue to making every word count, using visual storytelling to uncover clues, increasing tension and raising the stakes while remaining true to the plot and characters.
In this online course you will learn:
- What film executives seek and demand in a successful action screenplay.
- Understanding the conventions of the action genre and how to convey it.
- How to tell an action story an audience will care about
- Tips on structuring a page-turner.
- How to develop multi-dimensional heroes and villains.
- Insights for writing gripping scenes.
- Techniques to make action paragraphs jump off the page.
- How to avoid common pitfalls of writing action features.
- Advice on raising the stakes in the plot.
- Specific tools to write dialogue that is distinct to each character.
Session One: Activating Action
- Introduction to the course
- Defining the action genre
- Translating ideas onto the page
- Premise: Honing in on your fundamental idea.
- Plot: What your story is really about.
Session Two: Heroes and Villains Take Action
- Character equals plot
- Writing powerful protagonists
- Writing multi-dimensional antagonists
- Developing supporting characters
Session Three: Setting Action in Motion
- The dramatic ticking clock
- Raising the stakes in the plot and for characters
- Creating Conflict
- Beat Sheets
- Plot Twists
Session Four: Activating all the Action together
- Opening scenes: Grabbing the reader’s attention
- Settings: Creating the World of your Story
- Climax and Resolution
- Date available: 02/22/2015
- Publication date: 02/22/2015
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.