Writing Plays for Young People: How to Write for the Biggest Market Nobody Knows About
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Today's young people are tomorrow's audiences and theatre makers. They're hungry for great plays, and there isn't nearly enough quality material being written for teens and children. With a market that spans schools and theatres worldwide, the chances of production are exponentially higher, and a successful play can earn thousands of dollars. But that means not only mastering basic playwriting skills, but also developing a specific understanding of how to write for young actors and audiences.
Jonathan Dorf's plays for young people have been produced more than 1000 times, including in every state in the US and more than a dozen countries. He co-founded YouthPLAYS, a publisher of plays for young actors and audiences that represents over 300 plays and musicals, and as a teacher and script consultant, he's been guiding writers from Arizona to Australia toward production and publication for two decades.
He'll share some of the techniques, tips and tricks on the craft that will help accelerate your learning curve, and just as important, he'll offer his practical insights into what makes a play successful in the youth market.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to come up with ideas
- The playwriting basics: character, structure, setting, dialogue and stage directions
- Important characteristics of plays for young actors and audiences
- The varied types of plays under the "theatre for young audiences" tent
- Important practical elements of successful scripts
- Connecting to the youth market and marketing your work to schools, theatres and publishers
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Playwrights who have been afraid to try writing for young people.
- Playwrights looking to branch out and take on a new challenge.
- Playwrights who love to write ambitious, large cast shows.
- Teachers who want to write plays for their students but don't know where to start.
- Playwrights committed to developing future audiences and theatre-makers.
- Anyone who believes that young people deserve compelling, challenging material to view and perform.
- Screenwriters and fiction writers for young audiences who want to cross-train.
- Those who work with young people in other arenas (for example, social services) and want to harness theatre's transformative power.
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Jonathan Dorf
Author of more than 30 published plays with over 1000 productions worldwide, Jonathan Dorf co-founded publisher YouthPLAYS, co-chairs the Alliance of Los Angeles Playwrights and is Final Draft's resident playwriting expert. He created the content for Playwriting101.com, Google's top-ranked playwriting website for over a decade, and teaches playwriting through Screenwriters University. He has served as Visiting Associate Professor in the MFA Playwriting and Children's Lit programs at Hollins University, as United States Cultural Envoy to Barbados and been a guest speaker at schools and festivals ranging from the University of Southern California to the...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $79.99
Details: For writers interested in writing broad-appeal family films, this collection is for you! Included are seven proven resources from industry experts designed to help you write a film that will resonate with family audiences -- and studios! The resources in this kit will help you identify the structures, themes, characters, and tropes that define the genre. You'll be on your way to crafting a script studios are looking for in no time!
Only available today, so don't wait!