Write TV and Feature Thrillers that Sell
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
The thriller is a demanding genre to write because the audience wants to sit on the edge of its collective seats. To achieve this, it takes an intimate knowledge of the underlining elements of suspense plotting and storytelling. While the story is important, the plot is more important. It also takes knowledge of the popular sub-genres that add different spins and provide the writer the ability to create original material.
The primary purpose of this webinar is to provide you with the practical knowledge necessary to successfully deliver the essential elements expected in the thriller genre—in a word: a “commercial” screenplay or teleplay that will get through industry gatekeepers.
As an experienced writer, producer, director and teacher, Steve Duncan will help you meet the expectations of people who represent, buy or option thriller screenplays and television scripts. You’ll learn to recognize that you must deliver both the expected elements of the genre as well as the unexpected: the mysterious essentials of creativity and uniqueness, which is your talent. From experience, Steve knows you can’t break the rules until you know them. This webinar will provide you the practical knowledge and tools that allows your creative talent to blossom and shine through in your thriller writing.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- What is a Thriller?
- Key Elements of the Murder Mystery
- Crime Basics
- Basic Types of Plots
- Do the Heavy Lifting: The Title, Premise, Theme & Characters
- The Key Element of Suspense Drama
- Contemporary Thriller Storytelling
- Popular Thriller Film Sub-Genres
- The Thriller & Television
WHO SHOULD WATCH?
- New and experienced writers who want to learn how to write thriller screenplays and teleplays that sell
- New and experienced writers who want to deepen their knowledge to make their thriller stories and screenplays more commercial
- New and experienced writers who struggle with writing the thriller genre
- New and experienced writers looking to find out what studio and production executives, agents and managers are looking for in thriller screenplays and teleplays
- Film and TV directors and producers who want to learn the elements of the thriller genre in order to better work with screenwriters
- Entertainment Industry executives who want to learn the elements of thriller film genre
- Story Editors and Script Consultants who want to improve their grasp of thriller storytelling
- Date available: 02/10/2014
- Publication date: 02/10/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Steve Duncan
Steve Duncan is a Professor of Screenwriting at Loyola Marymount University. A current member of WGA West and Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, his production credits include Co-creator and Executive Consultant of the CBS-TV Emmy-winning series Tour of Duty, Writer-Producer of the ABC-TV series A Man Called Hawk, and Co-writer of the Emmy-nominated TNT film The Court-Martial of Jackie Robinson. He’s the author of A Guide to Screenwriting Success: How to Write for Film and Television (Rowman-Littlefield 2006) and Genre Screenwriting: How to Write Popular Screenplays That Sell (Continuum Books 2008). He’s a contributing author to The Handbook of ...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $79.99
Details: Writing a successful mystery novel or screenplay is more than just keeping readers intrigued or making an audience jump out of their seats. Even the smallest of details has to be authentic and believable to evoke the intended effect. You’ll learn the ins and outs of building a plot with heinous crimes, meticulous investigations and disturbing characters that surprise your audience around every turn. With this exclusive collection, you'll get proven resources designed to help you write a cutting-edge and current thriller that studios are looking to purchase.