Write Innovative Character and Plot: Analyzing Oscar-winning Screenwriter Diablo Cody
At a Glance
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Capturing the attention of film industry folks is vital to getting a screenplay out of the proverbial drawer and onto the silver screen. Your screenplay must stand out in the crowded and competitive world of scripts with not only compelling characters and powerful plots, but a distinct voice. Fitting that bill is -- Academy Award winning screenwriter Diablo Cody, (Best Original Screenplay Juno) -- whose thought-provoking characters challenge storytelling expectations by both following and breaking the traditional narrative rules.
Susan Kouguell will explore Cody’s distinctive writing while using it to teach you how to write a better script. Kouguell brings to this class a unique perspective; working in various capacities in the film industry, as a writer of over a dozen feature assignments, as a story analyst and story editor in the development departments of studios and independent production companies, and as a screenplay and film consultant at her company Su-City Pictures East, LLC since 1990. Susan will offer insights into both film executives’ and audience’s expectations without compromising your creativity and vision, incorporating her industry experience as a script consultant, screenwriting professor and author of Savvy Characters Sell Screenplays!.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- What film executives demand in a successful screenplay.
- Analysis of films by the same writer to illustrate a variety of approaches to consider.
- How to discover the core of your characters.
- How to avoid common screenwriting pitfalls.
- Tools on creating characters an audience will care about
- Insights on Diablo Cody’s most popular characters
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Screenwriters seeking insights to elevate their characters
- Screenwriters seeking tips for writing success from an industry insider who’s been in the film trenches (and survived) for over 25 years.
- Aspiring and professional writers looking for hands-on and inspiring tools for constructing compelling characters.
- Writers who’ve had their scripts rejected and want to learn why.
- Writers who want to challenge themselves.
- Anyone intrigued and interested to learn more about Diablo Cody’s work.
- Writers, filmmakers, and producers living and working anywhere on the globe curious to learn more about the craft of writing.
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Susan Kouguell
Susan teaches screenwriting at Purchase College SUNY and presents international seminars, including a summer session at the Prague Film School in the Czech Republic. She is the recipient of many grants and fellowships, among them the MacDowell Colony, Edward Albee Foundation, Jerome Foundation, and New York Foundation for the Arts. Her award-winning short films are in the archives and permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art, and were included in the Whitney Museum Biennial. Kouguell worked as associate producer on two features, wrote voice-over narrations for Miramax Films, completed a dozen rewrite assignments for production companie...