Worldbuilding for Fantasy and Science Fiction: How to Create Unique and Immersive New Settings for Your Novels and Short Stories
At a Glance
YOU’LL LOVE THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR IF:
- You are writing in the science fiction and fantasy genres
- You are a writer who understands the importance of a solid sense of place
- You are a writer who wants to take their SciFi and fantasy to the next level
- You are a writer who has trouble balancing description and action
ABOUT THIS ONDEMAND WEBINAR:
The New York Times best-selling author and veteran editor Philip Athans, author of The Guide to Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction (Adams Media 2010), gets into some seriously detailed techniques for creating worlds for fantasy and science fiction stories, novels, screenplays, and games, drawing from a quarter century of experience in creating new worlds.
You’ll get hands-on advice on where and how to start creating a fantasy or science fiction world. We’ll discuss research and sources of inspiration, and the importance of setting and following your own rules.
Runtime: 97 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The difference between “realistic” and “plausible”
- The vital importance of consistently applied rules for your created world (i.e. how magic works, or how fast your starships can go)
- Tips on research (what do you NEED to know?)
- Sources of inspiration for your SF or fantasy world
- How to start to organize your thoughts and notes
- Why your world should always serve your characters and story, not the other way around
- What you need to know about your world before you start writing
- Return policy: 30 days
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Philip Athans
Philip Athans is the founding partner of Athans & Associates Creative Consulting, and the New York Times best-selling author of Annihilation and a dozen other fantasy and horror books including The Guide to Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction. Born in Rochester, New York he grew up in suburban Chicago, where he published the literary magazine Alternative Fiction & Poetry. His blog, Fantasy Author’s Handbook, is updated every Tuesday, and you can follow him on Twitter @PhilAthans. He makes his home in the foothills of the Washington Cascades, east of Seattle.
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $59.99
Details: Do you want to capture your audience’s imagination like filmmaker James Cameron? This Sci-Fi/Fantasy writing kit has everything you need to transport your audience into your fantastical world. Learn the secrets to crafting great characters, creating realistic monsters, and structuring your themes around the interests of modern audiences. With Writing the Sci-Fi Screenplay or TV Series Ultimate Collection the only limit is your imagination!