Unlock James Cameron's Blockbuster Formula
James Cameron captures our imagination like few other writers or directors today. From Aliens and The Abyss to True Lies, Terminator 2, Titanic, and Avatar, he is a hit-making machine in nearly every genre—especially sci-fi.
Whatever genre you're working in, analyzing Cameron's work unearths universal rules that all writers can benefit from. We'll learn how to craft a narrative that puts unique characters into extraordinary, tension-packed situations. You'll soon tap into Cameron's unparalleled sense of creativity and wonder to bring your own script to the next level.
Timothy has written, ghostwritten, consulted on, and script-doctored screenplays for a huge range of writers and production companies nationwide. Now, he's compiled dozens of examples to help you envision the most visual, futuristic, and stunning version of your sci-fi, fantasy, or drama.
BONUS: With purchase of this webinar, you will be given a free copy of the ebook Introduction to Writing Feature Films, created exclusively for The Writers Store.
We'll quickly break down how to:
- Open with a bang
- Build the worst day of all time—then make it even worse
- Envision never-before-seen action sequences
- Invent memorable catchphrases
- Use iconic recurring imagery
- Perfectly intertwine plot, dialogue, and theme
- Streamline fight and chase sequences
- Camouflage backstory with action
- Take your protagonist down into the abyss
...and many other Cameron-esque techniques.
You'll see Cameron's films in a brand-new light. Do you have the next Avatar on your hands? With this class, you'll be well on your way!
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- Build a unique vision on the page
- Concisely detail a new fantasy or sci-fi world
- Plot a shocking revelation at the midpoint to keep things fresh
- Use structure as a tool for creativity, not a jail for conformity
- Create a sense of dread through atmosphere-building
- How simplicity comes before logic, but both are possible
- Hook readers with constant reversals of expectations
- How much detail is too much—and how much is just enough for clarity
- Create meme-worthy dialogue snippets
- Seed information early on that echoes tragically later in the story
- Stun with your climax...then heap on with a secondary tragedy
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Creators who want to take their writing to the next level
- Screenwriters attempting sci-fi or fantasy for the first time
- Visionaries eager find a new perspective on an older story
- Brand-new writers hoping to understand what separates blockbusters from wannabes
- More experienced writers looking to gain their first agent or manager
- Filmmakers who have great ideas, but whose unconventional structure has confused readers
- Artists starting a new screenplay from scratch, who want to make a bulletproof outline before moving to the next stage
- Anyone hoping to strengthen his or her storytelling, even in other mediums
- Date available: 02/19/2014
- Publication date: 02/19/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Timothy Cooper
Timothy Cooper is a filmmaker, playwright, comedy writer, and teacher based in Brooklyn, New York. As the founder of Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he's worked with hundreds of writers and companies worldwide to help them sell their scripts and tell their stories through TV and film.
He wrote and directed the web sitcom Concierge: The Series, starring comedians from Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Bridesmaids, Last Comic Standing, ...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $59.99
Details: Do you want to capture your audience’s imagination like filmmaker James Cameron? This Sci-Fi/Fantasy writing kit has everything you need to transport your audience into your fantastical world. Learn the secrets to crafting great characters, creating realistic monsters, and structuring your themes around the interests of modern audiences. With Writing the Sci-Fi Screenplay or TV Series Ultimate Collection the only limit is your imagination!