The Writers Digest Guide to Query Letters
Make That Crucial, Positive First Impression
Anyone who's researched the marketplace knows: The path to publication begins with your query letter. If your query is weak, unfocused, or uninspired, an editor or agent won't even bother to request your article, novel manuscript, or nonfiction book proposal. But a well-crafted, compelling query sent to the right editor or agent is an essential sales tool for fiction writers and the most effective way for nonfiction writers to pre-sell your idea.
In this book, professional freelance writer and magazine editor Wendy Burt-Thomas shares practical advice on how to craft persuasive letters that connect with editors and agents and ultimately generate sales for you. You'll learn how to:
* Conduct targeted research to find suitable editors and agents
* Hook an editor with a tantalizing lead and shape a summary that compels editors to buy
* Select the strongest slant for your book or article
* Use research and interview shortcuts that keep your query prep profitable
* Make your query rejection-proof by weeding out subtle mistakes that can sabotage your project
* Communicate your author platform and sell yourself as the best writer for the subject
Complete with dozens of sample queries—some that landed article assignments, agents, or book deals, and others that never stood a chance—this book offers you a comprehensive strategy for presenting your writing ideas in a way that will increase your chances of publication. Though the title may lead some to believe it's strictly to be shelved as a reference manual, The Writer's Digest Guide to Query Letters is a smooth read fromcover to cover.
- Publisher Writer's Digest Books
- Date available: 01/01/2010
- Publication date: 01/01/2009
- Return policy: 30 days
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.