The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes
It's a writer's job to create compelling characters who can withstand life's fallout without giving up. But building authentic, memorable heroes is no easy task. To forge realistic characters, we must hobble them with flaws that set them back while giving them positive attributes to help them achieve their goals. So how do writers choose the right blend of strengths for their characters--attributes that will render them admirable and worth rooting for--without making it too easy for them to succeed? Character creation can be hard, but it's about to get a lot easier.
Inside The Positive Trait Thesaurus, you'll find:
* A large selection of attributes to choose from when building a personality profile. Each entry lists possible causes for why a trait might emerge, along with associated attitudes, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions
* Real character examples from literature, film, or television to show how an attribute drives actions and decisions, influences goals, and steers relationships
* Advice on using positive traits to immediately hook readers while avoiding common personality pitfalls
* Insight on human needs and morality, and how each determines the strengths that emerge in heroes and villains alike
* Information on the key role positive attributes play within the character arc, and how they're vital to overcoming fatal flaws and achieving success
* Downloadable tools for organizing a character's attributes and providing a deeper understanding of his past, his needs, and the emotional wounds he must overcome
If you find character creation difficult or worry that your cast members all seem the same, The Positive Trait Thesaurus is brimming with ideas to help you develop one-of-a-kind, dynamic characters that readers will love. Extensively indexed, with entries written in a user-friendly list format, this brainstorming resource is perfect for any character creation project.
- Date available: 01/22/2014
- Publication date: 10/03/2013
- Return policy: 30 days
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Angela Ackerman
Angela Ackerman is a Canadian who writes on the darker side of Middle Grade and Young Adult. Angela's fiction is represented by Jill Corcoran of the Jill Corcoran Literary Agency. She loves to travel, read, mess around with cameras and spend time with her amazing and quirky family.
A strong supporter of writers helping writers, she is also the co-author of The Emotion Thesaurus, The Positive Trait Thesaurus & it's dark twin, The Negative Trait Thesaurus. Angela blogs at the award winning resource, The Bookshelf Muse and can be reached at Writers Helping Writers, a website home to writing tools, guides and craft advice.
Meet the Author: Becca Puglisi
Becca Puglisi is a YA fantasy and historical fiction writer who enjoys slurping copious amounts of Mountain Dew and snarfing snacks that have no nutritional value. She has always enjoyed contemplating the What if? scenario, which serves her well in south Florida. As a result, during hurricane season you can find her stalking the local weather forecasters and muttering unkind words toward the Atlantic.
Becca is the co-creator of The Bookshelf Muse, an award winning online resource for writers. She has also authored a number of nonfiction resource books for writers, including The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Emotion; The Positi...