The Essential Elements that Make a Screenplay Sell
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Whether you’re writing an independent film that you plan to shoot yourself or a commercial project that you hope to sell to Hollywood, you must not only master the screenwriting craft, but anticipate and understand what film executives, directors, and producers require, if not demand, of a screenplay. This live webinar will offer the essential tools to get your words from the page onto the silver screen.
During this webinar, Susan Kouguell, will offer specific strategies for strengthening each element of your script – from genre to dialogue, character and plot development, action paragraphs and visual storytelling, scene pacing and solid structure, your questions will be answered. Advice will also cover, understanding both the film executive’s and audience’s expectations without compromising your creativity and vision.
Susan Kouguell brings to this class a unique perspective; this includes working in various capacities in the film industry, as a writer of over a dozen feature assignments, as a story analyst and story editor in the development departments of studios and independent production companies, and as a screenplay and film consultant since 1990. Susan will share her experiences, working at the major film studios and with Oscar and Emmy award winners, focusing on what works and what doesn’t in a screenplay, submitting a script before it’s ready to a company, and overcoming the obvious and not so obvious writing stumbling blocks.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- What film executives seek in a successful screenplay
- How to avoid common pitfalls in the opening pages of a screenplay
- How to tell a story so that an audience will care about it
- How to introduce and lay the groundwork for compelling characters
- The importance of understanding and conveying a consistent genre
- How to advance your plot without losing your story
- Techniques to make action paragraphs shine
- How to execute the three-act structure without stifling your creativity
- Insights for writing scintillating scenes
- Specific tools to write dialogue that is distinct to each character
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Screenwriters seeking guidance from an industry insider who’s been in the film trenches (and survived) for over 25 years
- Aspiring and professional writers looking for a fresh approach and injection of effective and inspiring tools in a screenplay and film
- Producers, directors, and actors, looking for insights into the writer’s mind and work process
- Writers looking to unleash their ideas when experiencing major or minor blocks in their scripts
- Writers and filmmakers living and working anywhere on the globe
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.
- Date available: 07/10/2013
- Publication date: 07/10/2013
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Susan Kouguell
Susan Kouguell, award-winning screenwriter and filmmaker, teaches screenwriting at Purchase College, SUNY, presents international seminars, and is the author of SAVVY CHARACTERS SELL SCREENPLAYS! and THE SAVVY SCREENWRITER. Kouguell writes for SydneysBuzz and Script Magazine, and more. As chairperson of Su-City Pictures East, LLC, a motion picture consulting company founded in 1990, Kouguell works with over 1,000 writers, filmmakers, executives and studios worldwide. Recipient of many grants and fellowships, including the MacDowell Colony, Jerome Foundation, New York Foundation for the Arts, and the Edward Albee Fou...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $74.99
Details: Learning how to sell a script is one of the most important skillsets a screenwriter can master. Even the most skilled and creative screenwriters will end up with their screenplays gathering dust on a shelf if they don’t build the expertise necessary to sell it. This kit is designed to help you succeed with seven resources to help you along the way. Start with the Screenwriting Directory Guide and end with a query letter critique. This collection has everything you need to craft great loglines, master ideas that sell, and so much more. Sell your screenplay in 2017!