The "Concept" Script: How to Hook Your Reader in the First-Five Pages
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
There are over 70,000 screenplays written every year by aspiring scribes looking to break into the lucrative and voraciously competitive spec marketplace. To stand out, a script has to make a great first impression. Not only does it have to be an original concept that can fill 90 – 120 pages, but that promise has to be made in the first 5 pages for a reader to read on.
This webinar will demystify the process of creating an exciting and utterly irresistible first five pages of screen time. Techniques for showcasing the heart of your concept and central conflict for your story’s main characters will be fully-explored through real-life examples of award-winning spec screenplays. Each page will be deconstructed to illustrate how principal action was moved to the head of the script – engaging the reader and making the script stand out from a packed crowd.
Jon has written several award-winning screenplays and assisted dozens of other screenwriters in getting to the action early in their scripts. He has also been a professional reader for studio executives, having read and written coverage for hundreds of submissions. Jon teaches fellow scribes how the all-important first 5-pages can mean the difference between your script being recommended to the studios, or thrown back into the slush pile.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to write an intoxicating, thoroughly engrossing opening scene
- Structure your script’s first 5 pages to fully-capture the essence of your story’s concept
- How to highlight the central conflict of your main character’s journey
- Successfully foreshadow your story’s climax without giving away the ending
- Create dramatic tension on the very first page that will make reader turn the page
- How to use screenplay formatting structure to your advantage
- How to maintain enough white-on-the-page in your first 5 pages
- How to keep forward momentum for a faster script read
WHO SHOULD LISTEN
- Writers who want their script to stand out in the overcrowded spec marketplace
- Writers who want to master their screenwriting craft
- Writers who have script ideas but unsure how to present them to best effect
- Writers who need help integrating their story and screenplay structure
- Writers looking to create a breakout spec script that will get attention
- Writers wanting to jumpstart their screenwriting career
- Writers who want to gain representation in the movie industry
- Writers wishing to have a lucrative script sale that will lead to a career
- Date available: 05/07/2014
- Publication date: 05/07/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Jon James Miller
Jon James Miller is an award-winning screenwriter and novelist. He loves movies “based on a true story” that are actually based on a true story. In addition to his literary work, Jon is co-owner of the newly revived, much beloved Ben Cooper, Inc. brand, taking classic Halloween costumes and vacuum formed vinyl mask magic of the past and bringing it back in a new line of Ben Cooper costume-inspired collectibles just in time for Halloween 2017. Jon is represented by Sandra Dijkstra Literary. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org