The Comedy of the Coen Brothers
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
How do you build a successful screenwriting career in Hollywood with real staying power? How do you consistently produce the most strikingly original work every time you write a script? How do you attract top actors with one-of-a-kind characters and dialogue? How do you make your name a fixture of the industry’s top award shows year after year? The answer to this riddle is somewhere inside the career of the Coen Brothers, whose movies have dazzled audiences and critics for over 30 years.
If you want to learn anything, you study how the masters of the craft do it, and there are few masters who have dominated as many diverse genres as the Coen Brothers. Known for their quirky, unpredictable plots, their outrageous characters, snappy dialog, and unique genre mixing, the Coens body of work revels true wisdom about the craft of storytelling, particularly as it relates to quirky indie-style comedy with mainstream appeal.
Join The Onion’s founding editor and #1 New York Times bestselling author Scott Dikkers as he deconstructs five of the Coen Brothers’ most successful comedies, and shows you how you can skillfully apply some of their tricks of the trade to your own work.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- The importance of defining your genre
- The power of planning
- How to create colorful characters
- How the Coens make classic character archetypes feel fresh
- What makes a comedy “quirky”
- Six dialog techniques the Coens use to keep an audience riveted
- Ways to use symbolism to deepen a story
- The 3 biggest mistakes screenwriters make before they write the first word of their script
- The difference between comedic and dramatic structure and why every writer must understand both
- How the Coens write dialog that sparkles with originality
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who want to tackle the most difficult genre of them all -- comedy
- Directors and producers who want insights into fixing and enhancing any screenplay
- Anyone who appreciates a truly original cinematic vision, and wants a deeper understanding of the craft behind it
Please note: This webinar is neither endorsed by nor affiliated with Joel Coen or Ethan Coen or any related parties in any way. All views expressed during the presentation are those of the presenter.
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Scott Dikkers
Scott Dikkers founded the world's first humor website, theonion.com, which has more than 50 million unique monthly page views and 15 million social-media followers. As The Onion's longest-serving editor-in-chief, Scott created the Peabody Award-winning Onion News Network, which has spawned countless viral video hits and two television series, for IFC and Comedy Central. He's the writer-director of two successful independent comedy feature films, "Spaceman" and "Bad Meat." He has consulted for Pixar, Lucasfilm, Fox Searchlight, MTV, and others. Ranked on Entertainment Weekly's "It List" of the top 100 movers and shakers in entertainment, he's also a #1...