The Character-Driven Drama: Write Parts Actors Love
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
- Are you trying to get noticed by major actors, directors, and producers?
- Do your scripts contain great ideas, but just aren't placing in contests or fellowships?
- Are you writing a “high-concept” film (comedy, thriller, sci-fi, drama, fantasy, horror, etc.), but people keep saying it's missing something?
- Do some of your characters fall into cliches or stereotypes?
- Are you having trouble finding enough for your characters to do in Act II?
- Do people struggle to connect with your story or theme?
Trust us: The key is character. No matter what genre you're writing, if your main character isn't real, flawed, complex, and unique, it will be seriously difficult to get your script noticed and produced.
Critically and commercially acclaimed films don't rely on high concept or intriguing plot alone. Those are all useless without organic, unique, fascinating characters that A-list actors want to play, and top directors want to direct!
We'll reveal the secrets to building bold, flawed, truly memorable protagonists that every director, actor, and studio wants—then constructing your plot organically from those characters' needs.
Consider Walter White, Erin Brokovich, Michael Corleone, Forrest Gump, Simba, Gregory House, Clarice Starling, and Wall-E. By analyzing some of the most indelible characters throughout film and TV history, you'll understand exactly how the plot grew naturally out of those characters' issues—not the other way around.
After taking this class, plot twists and story turns will become a snap. You'll be able to craft stories that get the industry's attention—all on the basis of your powerful, A-list-worthy characters!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
By the time you finish this class, you'll know how to:
- Build a unique protagonist with an unusual hook and flaw
- Develop a true underdog to win the audience's sympathy
- Create a lead that major actors will want to play
- Write an entrance scene that grips our imagination
- Brainstorm rich, complex characters that make the reader care
- Construct dilemmas and conflicts organically, stemming from your character's central needs
- Build a major want for your lead that drives your plot
- Raise the stakes on your characters at every turn
- Avoid stereotypes by creating fully drawn, realistic characters
- Pinpoint a fascinating want that forces the lead into an epic journey that appears impossible!
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers seeking new techniques to take their script to the next level
- Visionaries eager find a new perspective on an older story
- Brand-new writers hoping to understand what separates blockbusters from wannabes
- More experienced writers looking to gain their first agent or manager
- Filmmakers who have been working on one story for ages, but have gotten mired down in the details and don't know how to move forward
- Writers in the outlining phase who want to strengthen their story before taking the next step
- Anyone looking for a fresh perspective on their own story
- More experienced writers who know their script isn't breaking through, but aren't sure why
- Those looking to punch up an existing screenplay
- Anyone who is eager to strengthen their characters, dialogue, action, and storytelling
- Screenwriters who are looking to write a script that goes viral
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Timothy Cooper
Timothy Cooper is a filmmaker, playwright, comedy writer, and teacher based in Brooklyn, New York. As the founder of Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he's worked with hundreds of writers and companies worldwide to help them sell their scripts and tell their stories through TV and film.
He wrote and directed the web sitcom Concierge: The Series, starring comedians from Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Bridesmaids, Last Comic Standing, ...