The Audience's Connection to a Screenplay: Engaging through Conflict
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Screenwriting is a rigorous process, and for a story to work in this medium the audience must connect to the hero – you must make the audience care! However, this does not come about by giving your character good personality traits. The audience needs to see strength in overcoming; they need to see “reality” through conflict.
Carla’s passion for storytelling begins with her connection to the journey of the hero, and for an audience to root for a hero; there must be a relationship with the character based on weakness and character defect. With a background in the dramatic arts, and English literature, Carla will share with you her process for creating relatable, “realistic” characters through the use of conflict.
Discover why so many scripts fail at the get go, how good characterization is based more on weakness and need than personality traits, and how both internal and external conflict is used to move the story forward and bring the hero to transformation.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How conflict helps to deepen the main character
- How conflict works in a storyline
- About the many faces of conflict
- Why audiences must have a connection to the hero
- How to make your audience “care” about the hero
- The importance of dramatic tension and how it works with the hero
- The essence of storytelling, no matter what the genre
- The importance of universal appeal
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Screenwriters who want a story that connects to the audience
- All-level screenwriters
- Screenwriters who want a better understanding of dramatic conflict and how it is used in the story
- Screenwriters who want to expand their writing skills
- Screenwriters who want to impress readers and (hopefully) sell their scripts
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Carla Iacovetti
Carla Iacovetti is a published writer, awarded poet, and screenwriter. She has authored more than a half dozen screenplays, and her poetry is featured in over a dozen anthologies. Carla, who works as a freelance writer, script editor, ghostwriter and copywriter, is also a regular feature writer for the Ventura County Reporter and is a screenwriting instructor at Santa Barbara City College Center for Lifelong Learning.