Story Concepts That Sell
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
The single most important choice you make when writing a spec script is the story concept. If you have a strong one, you have a shot at a sale. If not, you have zero chance. That’s why you must acquire the skills, habits, and mindset to generate story concepts – and lots of them – understand how to develop them, and assess their commercial viability.
Scott Myers broke into the business as a screenwriter by selling the high-concept spec script K-9 in a bidding war. He has written projects for every major Hollywood movie studio and broadcast TV network, trafficking constantly in the world of story concepts. In this webinar, Scott will share insights into this highly specialized aspect of the creative process, one he has practiced and developed over 25 years in the business.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- A take on ‘high concept’ that actually helps your creative process
- The singular importance of a ‘story conceit’
- How to think in terms of genres, cross genres, and sub-genres
- Hollywood’s golden rule of ‘similar, but different’
- Keys to brainstorming story concepts
- Why recycling is more than just an eco-friendly lifestyle
- Gender-bending and genre-bending
- A commonsense approach on how to write loglines
- The two most powerful words in the story concept process
- Why you need to take into account the international market
- Many more tips on coming up with story concepts that can sell
WHO SHOULD LISTEN
- Writers who want to write commercial movies
- Writers who want to land representation with a manager and/or agent
- Writers who need to understand the mindset of a Hollywood buyer
- Writers who have never grasped how important story concepts are
- Writers who struggle with writing loglines
- Writers who want to learn how to approach the craft like a professional
- Writers whose dream is to sell an original spec script
- Writers who want to maximize their chances at breaking into Hollywood
- Writers who are serious about succeeding as a screenwriter
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.
- Date available: 02/27/2013
- Publication date: 02/27/2013
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Scott Myers
A longtime member of the Writers’ Guild of America, west, Scott Myers has written nearly 30 projects in Hollywood. His writing credits include the movies K-9, Alaska, and Trojan War. He began teaching screenwriting in his spare time in 2002 and received the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program Outstanding Instructor Award in 2005. Scott is co-founder of Screenwriting Master Class, a unique online resource for writers.
Perhaps the thing for which he is best known is Go Into The Story, the official screenwriting blog of the Black List. Since its inception in 2008, Scott has written over 11,000 posts and the site has had over 6 million unique visits. B...