Stand Out from the Crowd - The High-Concept Hook
At a Glance
Register today to attend this live webinar!
Live Webinar Date: Saturday, May 10, 2014
Start Time: 11am - 12:30pm PST
Length: 90 minutes
The high-concept hook: It's the brilliant twist or premise your entire script stands on. It's what you want everyone talking about. But what is a “high-concept hook,” really—and how can you truly make yours original? Before you start writing, you'd better hone that hook and make sure it's worth spending months writing a script about!
We'll analyze films and scripts with high-concept hooks that everyone remembers—from Liar Liar, Memento, and Jurassic Park, to Minority Report, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and The Sixth Sense. Then we'll take all those lessons and learn how to apply them directly to your script.
This class is interactive, so if you're willing to share your hook in class, I'll help you hone it live!
We'll learn to:
- Develop a striking logline that captures the most exciting components of your hook
- Create characters who powerfully illustrate your theme
- Simplify your pitch to highlight the best parts
- Use irony to make your story much more memorable
- Write a third act that pushes your hook to its limit
- Build a high-concept hook even with low-budget limitations
...and much more.
You're wasting your time if you fail to take full advantage of all the nuances your concept contains. That's why this class will push you to develop your unique premise in innovative new ways, for a far more marketable, more compelling screenplay. After this course, you'll be all set to send your script to every agent or director with pride!
HOW DOES THIS WEBINAR WORK?
The webinar is broadcasted via the internet with live audio delivered through your computer speakers or over your telephone. The live webinar’s visual presentation is displayed directly from the Presenter's computer to your computer screen. The Q&A is managed through a chat-style submission system with questions being read and answered by the Presenter for the entire class to hear. In the event some questions are not answered during the live session, an e-mail with questions and answers will be sent to all webinar attendees. By attending the live webinar and/or asking questions, your full name may be stated during the live event and captured in the recording.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I NEED?
All you need is a computer or iOS device, and an internet connection. You’ll be able to view the presentation and listen to the audio over computer speakers; however, you’ll enjoy much better audio quality if you use a telephone. See below for complete system requirements.
To test your connection before the live webinar, visit: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/gotomeeting/help_files/GTM140010. (Click on the test session URL under Step 1.)
For Windows/PC-based users:
- Required: Windows® 7 or 8, Vista, XP, or 2003 Server
- Required: Internet connection, DSL or better recommended with bandwidth of 700Kbps or more
- Recommended Processor: 2.4 GHz or more with 2 GB of RAM or more
For iOS users:
- Required: Free GoToMeeting App from the Apple App Store
- Required: WiFi connection to use VoIP
- Required: iPad® 1 or newer, iPhone® 3GS or newer, iPod ® Touch (3rd generation) or newer
- Required Operating System: iOS 4.2 or newer
For Android users:
- Required: Free GoToMeeting App from the Google Play Store
- Required: WiFi connection to use VoIP
- Required Operating System: Android 2.2 or higher
- Recommended Processor: 1 Ghz CPU or higher
If you have questions about the webinar, please call us prior to the start time at 800.272.8927.
- Date available: 04/09/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Timothy Cooper
Timothy Cooper is a filmmaker, playwright, comedy writer, and teacher based in Brooklyn, New York. As the founder of Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he's worked with hundreds of writers and companies worldwide to help them sell their scripts and tell their stories through TV and film.
He wrote and directed the web sitcom Concierge: The Series, starring comedians from Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Bridesmaids, Last Comic Standing, ...