Screenwriting Fundamentals: The Art and Craft of Visual Writing
Screenwriting Fundamentals: The Art and Craft of Visual Writing takes a step-by-step approach to screenwriting, starting with a blank page and working through each element of the craft. Written in an approachable anecdote-infused style that’s full of humor, Bauer shows the writer how to put the pieces together, taking the process of screenwriting out of the cerebral and on to the page. Part One of the book covers character, location, time-frame and dialogue, emphasizing the particularity in writing for a visual medium. Part Two of the book focuses on the narrative aspect of screenwriting. Proceeding incrementally from the idea and story outline, through plotting and writing the treatment, the workshop-in-a-book concludes with writing the First Draft.
- A unique emphasis on the visual elements of storytelling because the camera is always present―the screenplay must act as a guide for the director and the editor.
- A "workshop in a book" approach that walks the reader step-by-step through a screenplay―focusing on character, location, time frame, visual components, and transitions―with plenty of exercises that generate material for the narrative writing process.
- A process-oriented approach, combined with a lighthearted tone and approachable style, that allows the reader to ease into the daunting task of writing a First Draft and takes them all the way through to the end― First Draft in hand
- Date available: 01/20/2017
- Publication date: 11/15/2016
- Return policy: 30 days
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Irv Bauer
IRV BAUER has taught screenwriting at the New York University Tisch School of the Arts Film School, The Writing Institute at Sarah Lawrence College, the University of Washington and The Australian National Film School, as well as playwriting at the University of Bridgeport, Julliard and The Minneapolis Playwright’s Lab and master classes at Cornell. In addition he has taught workshops and seminars on screenwriting all over the world, which include the two-week Summer Screenwriting Intensives that bring writers from all over the world to him.
Both screenwriter and playwright, Irv Bauer is the author of the screenplays: The Elephant is Well, Hunt ...