At a Glance
We also offer a live, instructor-led online course.
Have an amazing idea for a movie, but don’t know how to begin writing it? Want to learn professional methods for getting that concept onto the page? Then Screenwriting Basics is for you. This screenwriting class is the perfect introduction to the fantastic world of film writing, from the fundamentals of the craft down to the rewriting process. There's no easier way to learn how to write a page-turning script.
Students have three options for taking the Screenwriting Basics course.
1. Online Course
The 4-week online instructor-led Screenwriting Basics course takes place on the Writers University website, and begins at a predetermined start date.
The online screenwriting course is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To take the course, simply log in to your account from any computer with Internet access and read your lessons for the week. You then have the ability to ask questions and interact with the instructor and other students on the message board. You’ll also email assignments to your instructor for feedback.
2. One-on-One Course
Can’t commit to a 4-week time frame? Enjoy the benefits of the one-on-one course option, which lets you decide when to begin your screenwriting course at any date following your purchase.
You’ll immediately receive our comprehensive course that covers each crucial element required to learn screenwriting.
You can then decide when to begin working with your instructor privately via email. And the best part? No deadlines! You can work at your own pace, and choose when you’ll submit your work for detailed, professional feedback. You also have the ability to ask as many questions as you like about the course and screenwriting in general. It’s the quickest way to get on track toward a completed script.
3. On Demand Course
Are you the independent type? The budget-friendly On-Demand option gives you the option to work on the same great Screenwriting Basics materials as the Online and One-on-One option, only without instructor feedback. You’ll immediately receive our comprehensive course in PDF format, which covers each crucial element required to learn screenwriting.
Questions? Call us at 800.272.8927 (international callers dial 310-441-5151).
Here is just a general breakdown of subjects you will be learning in-depth in this screenwriting course.
Section 1: Structure, Format & Action
- 3 Act Structure - breaking a story into beginning, middle and end
- Turning Points – take the action in different directions
- Proper Formatting – learn industry standards and techniques
- Writing Action/Description – the greatest mark of an experienced writer
Section 2: Character & Conflict
- Building Your Protagonist – explore background, need(s), character flaw(s), and transformation
- Building Your Antagonist – make your protagonist real, explore need(s) and downfall
- Types of Conflict – the three major human strains
- Hallmarks of Great Conflict – techniques to building greater conflict
Section 3: Plot & Subplot
- Plot by Act – techniques for creating and sustaining the momentum of the film through Act One,
- Act Two and Act Three
- The Functions of Subplot – how to use subplots to enhance your story
- The Structure of Subplot – usually the source of most loose-ends in a story
Section 4: Dialogue & Rewriting
- Good Dialogue – 6 techniques for improving your dialogue
Make It Even Better – a checklist for re-writing to a finished draft
- Publisher Screenwriters University
- Date available: 01/01/2010
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.