ScriptXpert Screenplay Query Letter Critique
At a Glance
The query letter is your one shot to impress an agent or exec enough to request a read of your script. So it’s essential that this all-important doc is pitch perfect before you send it out to those who can quickly make or break your screenwriting career.
So how can you be certain that your query has what it takes to command attention from Hollywood’s power players? Find out what works, what doesn't and how to fix it through an evaluation from the Industry experts at The Writers Store.
What You Can Expect with a Screenplay Query Letter Critique
When you use our Screenplay Query Letter Critique service, we provide you with a high-level review of your work, offering up helpful advice and pointing out reasons that an agent or buyer may stop reading your query letter. We also offer:
- An evaluation of the query's overall strengths and weaknesses
- Specific comments on your opening, bio, referral information, and closing
- An unbiased assessment on the effectiveness of your logline
- A red flag on consistent issues with grammar, mechanics, spelling or style
- A clear idea of how to revise
What You Can NOT Expect with a Screenplay Query Letter Critique
Our reviewers will not:
- Rewrite or revise for you, except in the case of providing an example of how to revise on your own
- Correct grammar, mechanics and spelling. This requires a professional copyeditor or proofreader. However, a reviewer will point out any patterns of surface-level error that may pose a significant problem for you.
- Check and correct for style (e.g. Chicago Manual of Style or AP style). This requires a professional copyeditor or proofreader.
- Provide any fact-checking
- Provide answers or advice on legal issues
The Screenplay Query Letter Critique Service is designed to review 1 to 2-page query letters formatted to the specifications below.
All documents must be submitted electronically in ONE of the following formats:
- Word document (.doc or .docx)
- Rich Text File (.rtf)
All documents MUST adhere to professional formatting standards, which are:
- 8.5 x 11 page size
- 1-inch margins on top and bottom
- 1.25-inch margins on left and right sides
- Arial, Courier, or Times font
- 12-point font size
*If your submission does not meet these formatting requirements, we will either return the document to you for correction, or we will apply these settings ourselves when possible, and only critique the first page of the query letter.
All employees of The Writers Store, Inc. have signed a stringent and comprehensive non-disclosure and confidentiality agreement. You can rest assured that your material and conversations will not be shared with anyone. As an additional measure of protection for both you and your Story Specialist, we highly recommend registering your work with The Writers Guild of America and/or the U.S. Copyright office. If you have any questions, please call a Story Specialist at 800-272-8927.
- Date available: 06/29/2012
- Publication date: 06/29/2012
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.