Playwriting 101: Everything You Need to Know to Write a Play
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
There's nothing like sitting in the back of a dark theater as an audience reacts to actors performing your work. But finding that first (and second and third...) production means not only understanding such basic elements as character, play structure, setting, dialogue and stage directions, but also learning what actually works on stage.
Jonathan Dorf's plays have been produced worldwide, and as a teacher and script consultant, he's been guiding writers from Arizona to Australia toward production and publication for two decades. He'll share some of the techniques, tips and tricks he's gathered to accelerate your learning curve—whether you're a newly minted aspiring playwright, have experience and are just looking for that refresher, or want to use playwriting to take your screenwriting or fiction to the next level.
Learn how to develop your germ of an idea into a full-fledged script, the "big picture concepts" that will help you structure your play and keep it on track, and how to avoid the red flags that send plays to the reject pile. Above all, you'll learn to put into practice the most fundamental axiom of playwriting: "Plays are written to be produced."
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to turn an idea into a play
- Creating compelling characters
- Tools to plot your script
- The many possibilities of play structure
- Getting the most dramatic mileage from your settings
- Tips to strengthen your dialogue
- When and how to use stage directions
- Avoiding the red flags that keep your play from being produced
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Anyone who has always wanted to write a play.
- Playwrights who have never had formal training.
- Writers looking for tools to improve their screenwriting.
- Playwrights who are unproduced.
- Screenwriters and fiction writers who want to use playwriting to improve their writing.
- Playwrights looking to polish their skills or get fresh inspiration.
- Writers who want to improve their dialogue.
- Actors and directors who want to understand the playwright's point of view.
- Date available: 10/28/2013
- Publication date: 10/28/2013
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Jonathan Dorf
Author of more than 30 published plays with over 1000 productions worldwide, Jonathan Dorf co-founded publisher YouthPLAYS, co-chairs the Alliance of Los Angeles Playwrights and is Final Draft's resident playwriting expert. He created the content for Playwriting101.com, Google's top-ranked playwriting website for over a decade, and teaches playwriting through Screenwriters University. He has served as Visiting Associate Professor in the MFA Playwriting and Children's Lit programs at Hollins University, as United States Cultural Envoy to Barbados and been a guest speaker at schools and festivals ranging from the University of Southern California to the...