Script to Career
Meet your instructors Tom Nunan and Corey Mandell in this informative video
An Insider’s Guide to Launching and Building Your Career
A unique weekend event bringing together two of the industry’s most respected and sought-after instructors. TOM NUNAN is an Oscar-winning film and TV producer, who is also a former network president, studio president and buyer in all genres, across all platforms. COREY MANDELL is an award-winning screenwriter and playwright who has written projects for Ridley Scott, Wolfgang Peterson, Harrison Ford, Julia Roberts, as well as for all the major studios.
Both Tom and Corey are gifted teachers known for their filled-to-capacity writing and producing classes at UCLA. Their groundbreaking approaches have helped launched thousands of highly successful careers in film and TV. Yours could be next.
Take Control of Your Career
If you’re serious about a career in the current marketplace, you need to excel at two different objectives. You need to write the right kind of scripts, and you need to know how to effectively market yourself and your material. This one-of-a-kind weekend will teach you proven techniques and tools to do both.
You’ll learn what’s going on right now in the TV, feature and digital media industries. What kinds of scripts and projects will get you ignored? (Too many people waste years writing these scripts.) What kinds of scripts and projects can actually launch your career? And how do you get the right people to read these scripts and pay attention to you?
Successful writers know the answers to these questions. In many cases, the strategies they employ to launch and build their careers fly directly in the face of the conventional advice and thinking. Which is why so many writers come up short in their dream for a career. They are simply going about it in the wrong way.
What You’ll Learn
Create Your Best Possible Script
- Writing the pitch-perfect authentic script that can change your life
- Compelling conflict: writing in a way that truly engages a reader
- Creative integration: becoming the best writer only you can be
- Story mapping: how the top writers structure their scripts
- How professionals rewrite: get your script to where it needs to be
- Designing a marketable series engine for your TV ideas
- Script testing: how to know when your script is ready to be seen
- Creating and building high-impact narrative intensity
- Using heart of darkness to get the reader to care about your characters
- Triangulation: the relationship between the beginning, middle and end
- Script Organic story structure: having the strongest possible characters & story
- Avoid the common writer mistakes that can sink your chances
Create Your Best Possible Career
- To work, you need to be represented. To be represented, you need a job. How do you overcome this contradiction?
- Strategic career planning: how to design and obtain the career you most want
- Creating a roadmap to getting your first-ever job
- How to stop chasing agents and get them to chase you
- What is required to sell a pitch?
- What kinds of scripts is the industry currently looking for?
- How to avoid the most common mistakes that sink most people’s chances
- Getting the right meetings with the right people
- Knowing what’s required to be successful in your meetings
- Does THE BLACKLIST matter, and if so, how do you get on it?
- Cable is becoming as hard to break into as the mainstream studio market. How does a newbie crack this elite market?
- Everyone says a Writer’s Assistant is the best way to get staffed on a TV show, but it seems impossible. How can you get one of these jobs?
ALUMNI SUCCESS STORIES
Tom and Corey’s students have gone on to sell or option scripts to HBO, AMC, FX, ABC, Showtime, Bad Robot, Scott Free, Amblin, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Lionsgate, The Weinstein Company, 3 Arts, Pascal Pictures, Gran Via Productions, Conaco, The Tannenbaum Company, Skydance, Anonymous Content, Blumhouse, The Mark Gordon Company, Annapurna, Funny or Die, Pearl Street, Fox, Fox 2000, Fox 21, STX, Principato/Young, UCP, Ratpac, Cha Cha Cha films, MGM, Universal, and Disney.
Others have been staffed on such shows as Community, Lost, Jane the Virgin, The Office, The Killing, Family Guy, Boardwalk Empire, BoJack Horseman, Two and a Half Men, Glee, Entourage, The Leftovers, Heroes, The Mindy Project, Justified, Bones, The Mentalist, Ballers, Law and Order, The Fosters, Grey’s Anatomy, Young and Hungry, CSI, Marvel’s Agents of Shield, Up All Night, State of Affairs, Castle, Rosewood, Playing House, Chicago Fire, Treme, The Simpsons, and many others.
Haines Hall, UCLA
375 Portola Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
- Instructor Corey Mandell
- Instructor Tom Nunan
- Date available: 09/01/2016
- Publication date: 09/15/2016
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Instructor: Corey Mandell
Corey Mandell is an award-winning screenwriter who has written projects for Ridley Scott, Wolfgang Peterson, Harrison Ford, Julia Roberts, John Travolta, Warner Bros, Universal, 20th Century Fox, Working Title, Paramount, Live Planet, Beacon Films, Touchstone, Trilogy and Walt Disney Pictures. Corey teaches at UCLA as well as private workshops. His students have gone on to sell or option scripts to Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Disney, Fox, Fox 2000, MGM, Universal, Showtime, FX, USA Network, AMC, NBC, CBS, MTV and HBO. Others have been staffed on such shows as Community, Justified, Bones, BoJack Horseman, Playing House, Marvel's Agents ...
Meet the Instructor: Tom Nunan
Tom Nunan is founder and partner of Bull’s Eye Entertainment, a mid-sized independent film and television production company. During his oversight as a partner in Bull's Eye, Nunan generated a television and film slate of more than 50 projects, including creating a strategic alliance with Sony Pictures TV. Nunan and his partners achieved worldwide fame and success for producing their Academy Award-winning Best Picture Crash, as well as other beloved titles including The Illusionist, Thumbsucker and Employee of the Month. He is a brand expert and showrunner, who launched dozens of hit series for ABC, NBC, FOX and The...