Myth, Magic, and Metaphysics for Media Makers
At a Glance
With the Myth, Magic, and Metaphysics for Media Makers course series, you'll discover the geography and psychology of other realities, and learn ways to use them to give your stories internal integrity and unique appeal.
Pamela Jaye Smith is your guide and will introduce you to the principles and practices behind the magic of (and in) stories of any genre, so you can again and again create that magic yourself.
You'll strengthen your own writing partnerships, collaborations, and productions and learn communication techniques that used to be closely-guarded secrets, including:
- Mythic themes – how to select and use the best one for your story
- Mythic statements – workshop your own story or your favorite film
- Archetypes – to create more powerful character arcs
- Types of magic based on the chakras - death, sex, desire, power, etc.
- How the weird stuff works – esp, angels, aliens, multiple dimensions, etc.
- Ground rules for science fiction, fantasy, magical realism, etc.
- Symbols and imagery to better communicate your vision
- Your personal creative process – how to understand and master it for greater productivity and effectiveness
Each session is self-contained, but there is cross-over among the topics, so attending all three seminars offers a synergistic overview greater than the sum of the parts.
Get closer to your Muse, enhance your art, improve your craft, and more effectively engage your audience with myth, magic, and metaphysics – the basis of all great stories.
Read the 6 Conscious Media articles in the Writers Store Expert series.
Mythic Tools - April 7, 7-9pm
Myths are the stories we tell ourselves to explain the world around us and within us.
It’s said that all “true” myths are true on at least 7 levels: historically, geologically, sociologically, cosmologically, physiologically, psychologically, astronomically, etc. The more consciously you align your story with powerful themes and archetypes that have stirred the human imagination for millennia the more attractive, effective, and powerful your own stories will be.
This class explores ways you too can tap into the many powers of myth.
- Finding the universal, maintaining your timely uniqueness
- Mythic themes
- Mythic statements
- Archetypes, not stereotypes
- 7 tones for your story and your characters
- Symbols for scintillating stories
Magic - April 14, 7-9pm
As small children, we were enchanted by magic spells, waving wands, and abracadabras, and most of us would love to cast a spell and change our worlds. This basic human yearning ensures the popularity of stories filled with magic.
Doing a magical story does not mean you can just toss anything in there; there are certain timeless rules to how magic works and how to work magic. This class will explore varieties and aspects of white magic, black magic, grey magic and some nifty tricks for yourself, too.
- Types of magic based on chakras - death, sex, desire, power, etc.
- How the weird stuff works – ESP, multiple dimensions, astral projection, telepathy, telekinesis, divination, etc.
- Shapeshifting, vampires, ghosts, were-whatevers – how it works, how to use it
- Ground rules for science fiction, fantasy, magical realism, etc.
- White Magic vs. Black Magic, Alchemy vs. Magic, Ritual Magic vs. Creative Magic
- Protective spells for your characters... and for you
Metaphysics - April 21, 7-9pm
You used to have to spend years in a mountain cave eating cold rice and yak butter to learn and become qualified to use the secrets of the ancient Mystery Schools. Now it’s available with just a bit of searching and practice – like you’ll do in this class.
The ancient secrets were hidden in plain sight in myths, rituals, and religions. By planting these ageless truths in your contemporary stories, you can make them more timeless, too.
Come explore the powerful mechanics of consciousness and the world with an eye to using the tools of metaphysics to enhance and enrich your life, your stories, and your messages.
- Angels and aliens – the explained, the unexplained, the unexplainable
- Other worlds and apocalypses – and yes, 2012
- Reincarnation, channeling, possession - Indra’s Net of Gems as the mythos internet
- Using group dynamics to create richer ensembles
- The creative process – what stage is your project, when to keep silent and when to talk about it, the value of celebration, the dangers of completion
- Can being a writer improve you spiritually?
Where: The Writers Store 3510 W. Magnolia Blvd. Burbank, CA 91505
When: Thursday evenings - April 7, 14, 21, 2011
Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Who should attend?
Writers, producers, and designers in any media, genre, or style who are interested in enhancing their art and craft using the timeless tools of story-telling.
Creatives working on projects that include myths, the supernatural or paranormal, magic, or spiritual content.
Anyone who wants to better understand and enjoy all the media infused with myth, magic, and metaphysics. Plus you’ll have a knowledgeable advantage in all those on-line and in-person discussions about movies new and old, TV series, and game play.
- Date available: 03/01/2011
- Return policy: 30 days
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Pamela Jaye Smith
PAMELA JAYE SMITH is a mythologist, author, international consultant & speaker, and award-winning producer-director with over 30 years in the media industry. She is the author of Beyond the Hero’s Journey, Inner Drives, The Power of the Dark Side, Show Me the Love, and her latest book, Romantic Comedies: These Films Can Save Your Love Life.
Pamela has 8 years formal study in comparative mysticism and is a certified teacher of the Mystery Schools. Credits and clients include Fox, Microsoft, Disney, Paramount, RAI-TV Rome, Marseille and LA Webfests, UCLA, AFI, Romance Writers of America, GM, Boeing, the U.S. Army, and many mo...