MAKE IT SIZZLE! Fire Up Your Screenplay or Novel in 4 Weeks!
At a Glance
Got a story, screenplay or novel that just isn’t working? A project you love, but can’t seem to nail? With characters who aren’t quite right? Or a structure that doesn’t want to come together?
Emmy & Edgar nominated Tom Sawyer will teach you – one-on-one – his theory-free approach to storytelling that has made him an incredibly successful screen/TV writer and bestselling novelist. With Tom’s help you’ll acquire a fresh mindset that’ll enable you to turn that project into a solid, gripping story you’ll finish, and sell!
Check out Tom’s credits at thomasbsawyer.com.
What You'll Learn:
- The three essentials of a successful story – Conflict, Characters, and Construction
- How to design your characters, giving them dimensions that will rivet audiences, making us care about them
- How to create conflict and edges among your characters that will give energy to all of their scenes
- How to memorably introduce your characters to your audience
- Basic principles and advanced techniques of storytelling.
- Methods for giving yourself – and then hanging onto – a solid handle on your story
- Plot devices that will help tell your story more effectively
- What to include and what to leave out
- Writing great, believable dialogue
- Writers who need to gain a better grasp of how to write solid, satisfying stories.
- Writers who want to discover how to turn an idea into a compelling, entertaining story that captures and holds the audience till the end.
- Writers who need to own their story – to keep it from getting away from them.
Here’s a general breakdown of subjects covered in this course:
Week 1: The Writer's Mindset
- The Story Idea
- Write to the Money
- Where's the Heat?
Week 2: Creating Vivid, Engaging Characters
- Find the Facets
- Character Bios
Week 3: The Process - Taking your Story to the Next Level
Week 4: Writing Unique Dialogue
- Memorable Dialogue
- Energy and Urgency
Some comments from among Tom’s many enthusiastic students:
My learning curve has been extraordinary. I have used every suggestion you've made and they have been insightful and practical and pushed me to discover things I NEVER would have arrived at on my own. - Manuela Alberti
I must thank you again for your help - my full-length screenplay project was crystallized and focused into a far more refined story. - Mark (in Australia)
MAKE IT SIZZLE with Thomas B. Sawyer is a wonderful course. Mr. Sawyer helped me find the writer inside that I always knew was there! Bravo and thanks! - Nancy Taylor
I have gotten more out of the course than I ever thought possible. All of the comments/suggestions you've made have been so helpful, that I don't think I could have progressed without them. Thanks so much. - JPL
I can't thank you enough for your straight-up constructive criticism. This is exactly what I was hoping to get from the course - paired with your book and your lessons I've gotten way more than my money's worth. - Andy Wehrle
I am proud of my progress. I hope you are too. I love the way you have gently pushed the hell out of me. - J.R.Grey
Your critique of my first exercise was totally exciting. You rewrote my logline and I could SEE. My goodness, you made my story idea so great I wanted to read it. I've taken many courses in the past online and otherwise. This is the first one that showed me all there is to writing. Tom, you are the best instructor. You make me want to Write Better. Thanks and thanks. - Barb Johnson
- Publisher Screenwriters University
- Date available: 01/01/2010
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Thomas Sawyer
Emmy & Edgar-nominated, novelist, screenwriter, playwright, was Head Writer-Showrunner of classic TV series, Murder, She Wrote. He’s written 9 network TV pilots, 100 episodes, wrote-directed the cult film comedy, Gosh, Alice Goodbody, is an award-winning documentary filmmaker. Co-lyricist-librettist of JACK, an opera about JFK, author of bestseller No Place to Run, and Fiction Writing Demystified.