Industry Insider Television Writing Contest
Update: July 15, 2016
We thank all those who entered this running of the Industry Insider TV Contest! After a difficult selection process, we are happy to present our list of 50 semi-finalists below.
Congratulations to our semi-finalists!
B. Dave Walters
Christopher Robin Andrews
Desiree R. Thomas
Eric Andrew Newman
Faisal Azam & Erica Velis
John Shea Dixon
Katherine Bennett-Greer & Sherry Greer
Kristin Johnson & Chris Lisle
Michelle Murad & Ryan Chanatry
PT Hylton & Justin Sloan
T.J. Walker & Roxanne Wilder
Do you have the next TV Pilot that production company and network AMC (Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead, Halt & Catch Fire) wants? Enter The Industry Insider Television Writing Contest today!
Some of today’s most exciting storytelling happens on the small screen. From dramas like Empire, Mr. Robot and The Leftovers to comedies like Black-ish and Transparent, television has evolved to become the writer’s realm, where the most talented scribes rule season after season.
Sound like a dream job? Then get ready for your chance to break in to the dynamic world of writing for TV!
The Industry Insider Television Writing Contest is a one-of-a-kind competition that offers every entrant the unique chance to learn about the Industry, while also creating and writing a television pilot script.
Here’s how it works:
- Download and fill out our exclusive free TV Pilot Kit, including Show Proposal and Character Relationship worksheets along with illustrated examples.
- Submit your Pilot Kit to be judged by a panel of Industry pros. The top 50 semi-finalists win attendance to our exclusive TV Pilot Boot Camp: Designing The Series webinar (a $200 value!)
- Those 50 semi-finalists have one month to write the first draft of their pilots. Judges will narrow down the pool to 10 finalists.
- The top 10 finalists enter into our ScriptXpert Story Specialists mentoring program, where they will polish their pilot and create a Show Bible.
- The final projects are submitted to a panel of judges and a winner is selected.
- The lucky winner of the Industry Insider Television Writing Contest receives unparalleled Industry experience, a meeting with AMC (Mad Men, Into the Badlands) and other Industry Insiders and much more.
This is your opportunity to learn about TV writing from some of the Industry’s A-list scribes, while also developing your own storytelling abilities. With those skills in place, just imagine the new opportunities you can create for yourself in the competitive world of screenwriting.
Sign up to participate in the Industry Insider TV Writing Contest Now!
The Industry Insider TV Writing Contest is proudly sponsored by Write Brothers software.
Write Brothers provides cutting-edge software for writers looking to advance their craft. Movie Magic Screenwriter will format your screenplay to industry standards while Dramatica and Outline 4D will guide you through the story creation and outlining process.
- Contest Begins: February 1, 2016
- Early Deadline: March 31, 2016
- Early Fee: $40
- Standard Deadline: May 31, 2016
- Standard Fee: $50
- Extended Deadline: June 30, 2016
- Extended Fee: $75
- Semi-Finalists Announced:July 2016
- Finalists Announced: September 2016
- Winner Announced: January 2017
- Meetings: February 2017
Congratulations to Dawn Fields Wise as the 2015 Winner of The Industry Insider Television Writing Contest
“From the very start of the contest until the day I found out I won, to even now as I continue to promote my winning script, the staff at The Writers Store have been so helpful, supportive, and encouraging every step of the way. I echo what so many other finalists in previous contests have stated, and that is that the real prize truly is being able to work with the amazing Story Specialists throughout the twelve week process. My coach, Kay, was a genius and she taught me more about character development and pacing in those three short months than I have learned in the decade I have been writing. Additionally, the development notes I received about pacing and overall writing style has tremendously improved the way I continue to hone my current script as well as how I am outlining and storyboarding my newest one. And unlike other contests that state the winning scripts might get into the hands of managers, agents, or production companies because they will send out your logline to their mailing list, this contest actually delivers. Less than 72 hours after I found out I had won the contest, I was on the phone with Anonymous Content discussing the winning script and sending them other materials for consideration. This contest has been one of the highlights of my writing career!” – Dawn Fields Wise
Top Ten 2015 Finalists
- Dawn Fields Wise – Gate City
- David Kushner – The Circuit
- David Whitcroft – Satellite8
- Katie Hennicke – Tenure
- Stephen Potts – Shrink Proof
- Russell Ward & Scott Miller – Atomic City
- Rick DeMille – Exiles & Empires
- Ben Basso – Freetown
- Sam Higgins– Fairy Tales
- Liz Hersey – Mello Drama
Thank you to our judges at Anonymous Content
Congratulations to Richard Valentine as the 2014 Winner of The Industry Insider Television Writing Contest
Top Ten 2014 Finalists
- Richard Valentine – The Exorcists
- Ray Wong & Kevin Wright – Blank Slate
- Luther M. Mace – The Ex-Factor
- Brenda Arocho – Ivy Crypt
- Kathlene McGovern – Delaney
- J.A. Romo – Ghosts
- Alice Charles – The Boyfriend Project (Update 12/14/15: currently optioned by Little Brother Productions)
- Wes Meilandt, Nathan Bayne and Tim Black – Expiration Date
- Melissa Dearr – Apocalypse
- T.J. Walker & Roxanne Wilder – Kick
Thank you to our judges at Verve Talent & Literary Agency
Congratulations to writing partners David Kushner and Joshua Bullock as they are the 2013 Winners of The Industry Insider Television Writing Contest
Top Ten 2013 Finalists
- Keith Hendrick – Red Square
- Joshua Bullock & David Kushner – The (212)
- Kurt Conety – Absolved
- Kathlene McGovern – MisSpeaks
- Doug Penikas – Houdini: The Untold Adventures
- Mary Krell-Oishi – ABCD
- Elizabeth B. Hooker – Young Will
- Justin Fox – Maddock & Brooks
- Ed Gaffney – Unpunished
- Katie Hennicke – The Pits
Thank you to our judges at Verve Talent & Literary Agency