Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest - Roger Avary
The eighth round of the Industry Insider Screenwriting Competition took place in the fall of 2013, bringing in almost 1,000 entries that were eventually narrowed down to 10 Finalists. We are happy to be able to share with you the First 15 Pages of the Finalists' scripts based on Roger Avary's logline:
"Three neurotic hit-men, each with troubled pasts, are separately enlisted by a highly secretive client to assassinate each other."
The winner has been chosen!
Congratulations to Patrick Rockwell, winner of the Industry Insider Contest with his script, The Recruitment.
Top 10 Finalists:
- Jason Holtham, “Killers Anonymous” New York, NY
- Matt Williams, “Beyond Good and Evil” Centerville, OH
- Robin Jensen, “Pulling Out All the Stops” Oakland, CA
- Ben Gillman, “Three Seats at the Round Table” Hollywood, CA
- David Kushner, “The Moral Code” Holland, PA
- Odin Ozdil, “Shadow Road” Santa Monica, CA
- Jeff Zuschlag, “Contracts” Los Angeles, CA
- Benjamin Mair, “Ghosts of Tokyo” Wentworth Falls, NSW, Australia
- Patrick Rockwell, “The Recruitment” Marietta, GA
- Matt Altman, “The Assassination Game” Los Angeles, CA
- Brendan Sevack, “Catalysis”
- Normann Pokorny, “Iota”
- Donald Copenhaver, “Sons of Adam”
- Kurt Conety, “Bait and Bleed”
- Rick McGovern, “Killing Field”
Think you can turn this logline from Roger Avary, Academy Award winning Screenwriter for Pulp Fiction, and Writer of Silent Hill, Beowulf and Writer/Director of Killing Zoe and Rules of Attraction into a killer script?
Three neurotic hit-men, each with troubled pasts, are separately enlisted by a highly secretive client to assassinate each other.
Break out your scriptwriting software and get to work, because the Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest gives you the unique opportunity to turn this idea into a solid spec screenplay that could be your ticket to Hollywood success.
The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest is an international screenwriting competition that facilitates relationships between new writers and Industry leaders looking to help aspirants embark on writing careers.
Working from this A-list logline, you’re challenged to create up to the first 15 pages of an original script based on the given concept. Make it your own - drama, action, sci-fi... anywhere your imagination takes you.
But it doesn’t stop there. The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest goes much further than your average competition, by providing the top 10 finalists with mentors to guide them through the entire script creation process, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay to be judged by a panel of Hollywood power players.
Here's how it works:
- Entrants write up to the first 15 pages of a script based on the logline above, provided by Roger Avary
- The top 10 finalists are chosen from the submissions, and receive a personalized letter of congratulations from Roger Avary
- Each of the 10 finalists receives a copy of Movie Magic Screenwriter to professionally format their work as they enter into a 12-week Story Specialists mentoring program, consisting of feedback for ever 10 pages submitted, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay based on the given logline
- After the mentoring, the finalists submit their rough drafts to our professional script readers for comprehensive Development Notes, and then have two weeks to work with their mentor and notes to complete the final draft of their screenplay for judging.
- Roger Avary and production company Benderspink judge the completed screenplays and choose a winner
The lucky winner of this scriptwriting contest receives a classic Industry experience, including transportation to Los Angeles and:
Lush Accommodations at the Chateau Marmont
The chic Chateau, conveniently nestled right off the Sunset Strip, will serve as the home base for the Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest winner. Thinking of the many opportunities to network and hobnob with the Hollywood elite that frequent this hotspot is mind-boggling!
One-on-One with Roger Avary at The Ivy
First on the agenda? Lunch with screenwriter Roger Avary at Robertson Blvd.’s uber-popular bistro, known for its steady stream of celebs and location near power-agency ICM. The winner will take in some serious knowledge and know-how from Avary, while filling up on the Ivy’s famous nouvelle American cuisine.
Meeting with Benderspink
The Hollywood treatment continues through a conference with Benderspink, a diversified management/production company with credits including The Hangover, American Pie, and The Ring. Aspiring screenwriters dream of this kind of opportunity to meet with such an influential group, a fantasy that will come true for the lucky winner!
Movie Magic Screenwriter - Professional Formatting Software
Format your script and outline it, too, with the newly redesigned Movie Magic Screenwriter 6! This award-winning screenwriting software formats movies, television, novels, stage plays and even comic book scripts, making it the only program for all types of creative writing.
The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest can give you the tools and the resources you need to complete a saleable screenplay. But besides the experience and the mentoring you could receive, placing in this competition shows that you can take another’s idea and turn it into a winning script - a trait that’s truly valued in Hollywood, and serves as a priceless addition to your screenwriting resume.
Click here for news regarding previous rounds of the contest.
Roger Avary is a Director, Producer, and the Academy Award™ winning Screenwriter of Pulp Fiction, Silent Hill, and Beowulf. His work as Director on Killing Zoe and The Rules of Attraction established his recognition worldwide as an auteur with a unique voice.