Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest - Edward Saxon
The seventh round of the Industry Insider Screenwriting Competition took place in the spring of 2013, bringing in almost 1,000 entries that were eventually narrowed down to 10 Finalists. We are happy to be able to share with you the First 15 Pages of the Finalists' scripts based on Edward Saxons logline:
“After a storm destroys her small farm, killing her mother and father, an adolescent girl is sent off on a journey of survival.”
The winner has been chosen!
Congratulations to JR Phillips, winner of the Industry Insider Contest with her script, The Badlands: Dead Girls Don't Cry
Top 10 Finalists:
- Paul Littell, "Chasing Dakota" Rowayton, CT
- T.N. Lewis, "Daylight's End" Spring, TX
- Peter Force, "Megan Time" Auckland, New Zealand
- J.L. Newman & J.A. Mayfield, "Forecast" Hayden, AL
- Jordan Trippeer, "Coke and Converse" Los Angeles, CA
- J.R. Phillips, "The Badlands: Dead Girls Don't Cry" - Woodland Hills, CA
- Nicole Tersigni, "Yellow" Glen Ellyn, IL
- Jonah Heller, "Oh Great Love" Blue Ridge, GA
- David Kushner & Joshua Bullock, "Girl from the North Country" Holland, PA
- Ben James Johnson, "Man of the Future" Toronto, Canada
Your 15-page submission isn't due until May 7 as long as you enter on or before April 30, 2013. At the end of the checkout process you will be provided instructions on how and where to send your submission.
Click here to learn about the success of last round's winner, Tyler Marceca, and his winning script "The Disciple Program."
Break out your scriptwriting software and get to work, because the Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest gives you the unique opportunity to turn this idea into a solid spec screenplay that could be your ticket to Hollywood success.
The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest is an international screenwriting competition that facilitates relationships between new writers and Industry leaders looking to help aspirants embark on writing careers.
Working from this A-list logline, you’re challenged to create up to the first 15 pages of an original script based on the given concept. Make it your own - drama, action, sci-fi... anywhere your imagination takes you.
But it doesn’t stop there. The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest goes much further than your average competition, by providing the top 10 finalists with mentors to guide them through the entire script creation process, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay to be judged by a panel of Hollywood power players.
Here’s how it works:
- Entrants write up to the first 15 pages of a script based on the logline above, provided by Edward Saxon
- The top 10 finalists are chosen from the submissions, and receive a personalized letter of congratulations from Edward Saxon
- Each of the 10 finalists receives a copy of Movie Magic Screenwriter to professionally format their work as they enter into a 12-week Story Specialists mentoring program, consisting of feedback for every 10 pages submitted, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay based on the given logline
- After the mentoring, the finalists submit their rough drafts to our professional script readers for comprehensive Development Notes, and then have two weeks to work with their mentor and notes to complete the final draft of their screenplay for judging.
- Edward Saxon and production company Benderspink judge the completed screenplays and choose a winner
The lucky winner of this scriptwriting contest receives a classic Industry experience, including transportation to Los Angeles and:
Lush Accommodations at the Chateau Marmont
The chic Chateau, conveniently nestled right off the Sunset Strip, will serve as the home base for the Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest winner. Thinking of the many opportunities to network and hobnob with the Hollywood elite that frequent this hotspot is mind-boggling!
One-on-One with Edward Saxon at The Ivy
First on the agenda? Lunch with producer Edward Saxon at Robertson Blvd.’s uber-popular bistro, known for its steady stream of celebs and location near power-agency ICM. The winner will take in some serious knowledge and know-how from Saxon, while filling up on the Ivy’s famous nouvelle American cuisine.
Meeting with Benderspink
The Hollywood treatment continues through a conference with Benderspink, a diversified management/production company with credits including The Hangover, American Pie, and The Ring. Aspiring screenwriters dream of this kind of opportunity to meet with such an influential group, a fantasy that will come true for the lucky winner!
Movie Magic Screenwriter - Professional Formatting Software
Format your script and outline it, too, with the newly redesigned Movie Magic Screenwriter 6! This award-winning screenwriting software formats movies, television, novels, stage plays and even comic book scripts, making it the only program for all types of creative writing.
The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest can give you the tools and the resources you need to complete a saleable screenplay. But besides the experience and the mentoring you could receive, placing in this competition shows that you can take another’s idea and turn it into a winning script - a trait that’s truly valued in Hollywood, and serves as a priceless addition to your screenwriting resume.
Academy Award-winning® producer Edward Saxon has been producing feature films for 25 years. As principal of his production company, he has developed and produced pictures with Fox, Universal, Warner Brothers, Columbia, Paramount, and Disney as well as working with numerous independent financiers, including a multi year pact with Participant Productions. Combined, Saxon’s films have grossed over $700m at the box office worldwide and garnered twelve Academy Awards®. He won his Oscar for The Silence of the Lambs which swept Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture at the Academy Awards®, one of only three films in history to do so. He also produced
Currently Saxon is producing Elsa & Fred starring Shirley MacLaine, Christopher Plummer and directed by Academy Award-nominee® ...