How to Write Your Lifestory or Memoir: Exploring Truth, Memory, and Craft Webinar
At a Glance
Writing a memoir or a lifestory can be an overwhelming task. You wonder where to begin, how to structure it, how much truth to tell, and how to manage conflicting family opinions. Not only do writers need to sort through the emotional aspects of writing a memoir based on their own experiences, but it's important to write a story with dramatic interest. Even if you simply want to share your story with family, the reader needs to be drawn into your story. You create the world of your past through using fictional tools such as the correct point of view, scenes, vivid descriptions, and by creating a narrative arc. Attention will be focused teaching craft elements needed to create a publishable and well-written work that you can be proud of.
What you'll learn:
- How to create a hook and theme—in other words: how to make your story stand out from other memoirs that editors and agents review
- Ways to think about truth and memory, family, and legal issues that block your writing; how to find your theme and focus your story for your audience
- Create a timeline, write vignettes, and choose the most important part of your story—the turning points
- The reasons why you need scenes and a narrative arc
- Why you need to draw upon fictional techniques, such as sensual details, point of view, scenic structure, and vivid descriptions to craft a great story
- How to research the parts of your story that you're not sure about
- Publisher Writer's Digest Books
- Publication date: 01/01/2011
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Linda Joy Myers
Linda Joy Myers is the president of the National Association of Memoir Writers, and an expert in memoir, lifestory, and the topic of writing as a transformational journey. She has written three books—The Power of Memoir, released by Jossey Bass, an award-winning memoir Don't Call Me Mother, and Becoming Whole: Writing your Healing Story, a ForeWord book of the year finalist. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.namw.org.