How to Write a Dynamite Mystery or Thriller That Sells: Learn to Charge & Plot Your Fiction Like a Pro Webinar
At a Glance
Mysteries and thrillers are the most exciting forms of fiction being written today, with millions of readers eager for new stories. Especially in today's digital-boom market, agents and editors are hungrily searching for fresh talent. The ideal writer possesses a good working knowledge of the mystery/ thriller form, and a spark of imagination that makes his or her manuscript stand out like a beacon.
If you want to hear that magic sentence, "We'd like to make you an offer," you must write a mystery or thriller that will quicken the pulse of even the most jaded agent or editor. Deals for good new books happen every day. And the writer who stands the best chance has gained a rock-solid knowledge of the essential elements.
Instructor and author Elizabeth Sims has helped thousands of writers to enrich their work, expand their talents, and learn the elements of wildly successful fiction.
What you'll learn:
- Definitions of the mystery form and the thriller form, and the essential elements of each.
- How a successful mystery / thriller uses ancient storytelling techniques to hook a modern audience.
- How to start with a basic idea for a mystery or thriller and build a novel-length plot from there.
- Why subplots are so important in these genres, and how to weave them into your main plot.
- Why you should unfetter your imagination every chance you get.
- How to write convincing characters and places.
- Newbie mistakes to avoid, including page/chapter 1 clichés and overused techniques.
- Publisher Writer's Digest Books
- Publication date: 01/01/2011
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Elizabeth Sims
Elizabeth Sims is the author of seven popular novels, most recently ON LOCATION: A RITA FARMER MYSTERY (2010, St. Martin's Minotaur). Booklist calls her crime fiction "as smart as it is compelling." Besides the Rita Farmer Mysteries, she's the author of the Lambda Award-winning Lillian Byrd Mysteries.
Elizabeth is also a contributing editor at Writer's Digest magazine, where she specializes in the art and craft of fiction. She holds degrees in English from Michigan State University and Wayne State University (where she won the Tompkins Award for Graduate Fiction), and she loves to help fledgling authors find their wings.