How to Create a Badass Main Character In Any Genre
At a Glance
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
One of the most common problems in screenplays is a weak main character. The supporting characters may shine, but the protagonist feels thin, directionless, and often “dead” on the page. Without a compelling main character, your story has no center, no core, no narrative force to drive the story forward. And with no viable main character, agents, producers, studios, and actors will toss your script on the dreaded “pile.”
What makes a Badass? You’ll find out! This webinar will present the building blocks to create a killer protagonist—one who is active, unusual, and has something to overcome in the story. You’ll learn the “Badass” ingredients, and see how they are applied by top filmmakers in very different genres. As we talk, I’ll guide you to brainstorm about your own main character and at the end, you’ll have time to ask me specific questions.
As a screenwriter, director and producer, I’ve been on all sides of the creative process. I’ve also worked as a story consultant for Disney/Pixar as part of their story trust—working with filmmakers to strengthen their stories and characters. All story begins with character, and I believe I’m uniquely qualified to help you find your main character’s Badass-edness.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The most common problems with main characters
- The secret ingredients of a Badass main character
- How writers of three very different recently released films embrace the Badass method
- How to apply these concepts to your own protagonist
- How creating a Badass can help you strengthen structure and theme
- How to create great secondary characters to support your Badass
- Why creating a Badass is key to attracting top talent
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who want to get their movie made
- Writers who want to deepen their understanding of character
- Writers who want to challenge themselves
- Writers who have a great concept, but need help finding the story’s core
- Writers who want to make their main character distinctive
- Writers who have a problematic main character and need to reimagine him/her
- Writers who are about to start a project, are in the middle of a project, or doing a final polish
- Writers who like the term “Badass.”
Participate Live or Watch Later
This webinar includes both access to the live webinar where you may interact with the presenter and the recorded, on-demand edition for your video library. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for one year. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation. In all webinars, no question goes unanswered. Attendees have the ability to chat with the instructor during the live event and ask questions. You will receive a copy of the webinar presentation in an e-mail that goes out one week after the live event. The answers to questions not covered in the live presentation will be included in this e-mail as well.
BONUS:With purchase of this webinar, you will receive 20% off of a subscription to the Screenwriting Tutorials website, which has specialized tutorials from experts that explore screenwriting topics covered nowhere else on the web!
- Date available: 08/12/2014
- Publication date: 08/12/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Pat Verducci
Pat has written scripts for Touchstone Pictures, Witt-Thomas Productions and Disney’s animation division. She’s also served as a story consultant for Disney/Pixar, working as part of their story trust. She wrote and directed the feature film TRUE CRIME, and co-produced the documentary SOMEWHERE BETWEEN. She teaches screenwriting in UCLA Extension’s Creative Writing program and works as a script editor with the Australian film funding organization, Film Victoria. She loves all kinds of movies, and works as a writing coach/script consultant with new and experienced writers at patverducci.com.