How Professional Writers Structure Their Scripts
ABOUT THE WEBINAR:
If you read the scripts that are selling in this marketplace, you’ll quickly realize that they aren't following the same old tired rules and formulas. This is why agents and managers say that they can spot a popular paradigm script from a mile away. These scripts never succeed.
If you use a “this must happen by this page” approach you will almost always run into the following problems:
- Your script will read like all of the other scripts that follow the same rules and therefore have little chance to stand out.
- Your script will be predictable since the reader knows what specific plot points are going to happen on what specific page.
- Your script will be populated by less-than-compelling characters that feel like puppets forced to say and do things in order to serve pre-ordained plot points.
Even worse, by conforming to a set of one-size-fits-all, paint-by-the-numbers rules, you tend to destroy what’s original, unique, and interesting about your script.
This webinar teaches you the specific tools and techniques professional writers use to create flexible, non-formulaic structure that supports what is unique and original about your story, characters, and writing.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to create organic story structure
- How to avoid the common structural mistakes that sink most scripts
- Why most scripts run out of steam in the middle and what to do about this
- The kinds of stories agents and managers are looking for
- The best ways to outline your script
WHO SHOULD LISTEN:
- Writers who want real tools to make their scripts unique and desirable
- Writers who are seeking an agent or a manager
- Writers who are about to go out to the industry with a screenplay
- Writers who have had their script rejected
- Writers who are about to start a new screenplay
- Writers who are about to rewrite their script
- Anyone who is new to screenwriting and wants to start out on the right foot
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.
- Instructor Corey Mandell
- Date available: 08/07/2013
- Publication date: 08/07/2013
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Instructor: Corey Mandell
Corey Mandell is an award-winning screenwriter who has written projects for Ridley Scott, Wolfgang Peterson, Harrison Ford, Julia Roberts, John Travolta, Warner Bros, Universal, 20th Century Fox, Working Title, Paramount, Live Planet, Beacon Films, Touchstone, Trilogy and Walt Disney Pictures. Corey teaches at UCLA as well as private workshops. His students have gone on to sell or option scripts to Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony Pictures, Disney, Fox, Fox 2000, MGM, Universal, Showtime, FX, USA Network, AMC, NBC, CBS, MTV and HBO. Others have been staffed on such shows as Community, Justified, Bones, BoJack Horseman, Playing House, Marvel's Agents ...