From Cozy to Carnage: An Agent Explains the Ins and Outs of Thriller/Mystery Writing
At a Glance
You'll Love This Webinar If:
- You're planning on writing a mystery novel or thriller
- You want to find out which subgenre your story idea fits best in
- You're looking for examples of themes and trends seen in successful crime books
- You are actively querying agents and publishers in both adult and YA markets
- You are wondering why your work is getting rejected
- You want to pitch your story's concept at a writers conference
- You write for adults but are thinking of trying a YA novel
In this 90-minute instructional video, you'll dive into the world of mysteries and thrillers with literary agent Barbara Poelle. Explore the subgenres of thrillers and mysteries and figure out where your story fits. You'll discover the type of query and introduction that can set you apart from others, tips on how to write a compelling story, and most importantly, how to pitch your mystery or thriller novel to a literary agent or acquisitions editor.
Whether your mystery novel or thriller is meant for young adults or not, you'll come away with techniques, devices, and the know-how to write a suspenseful, dynamic, and gripping tale that will hook readers from page one.
In This Webinar You'll Learn:
- The elements of a compelling story
- How to pitch your story to an agent and what they look for
- The essential elements of each subgenre
- The elements of a successful query letter and compelling hook
- How to distinguish your own work from similar stories flooding the marketplace
- About e-book and traditional publishing for thriller and mystery novels
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Instructor: Barbara Poelle
Literary agent Barbara Poelle began her publishing career as a freelance copywriter and editor before joining the Irene Goodman Agency in 2007, but feels as if she truly prepared for the industry during her brief stint as a stand-up comic in Los Angeles. She has found success placing thrillers, literary suspense, historical romances, humorous/platform driven nonfiction, and upmarket fiction and young adult and is actively seeking her next great client in those genres, but is passionate about anything with a unique voice. Barbara has a very hands-on approach with the craft and editorial details of the books she represents, and loves working with her ...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $79.99
Details: Writing a successful mystery novel or screenplay is more than just keeping readers intrigued or making an audience jump out of their seats. Even the smallest of details has to be authentic and believable to evoke the intended effect. You’ll learn the ins and outs of building a plot with heinous crimes, meticulous investigations and disturbing characters that surprise your audience around every turn. With this exclusive collection, you'll get proven resources designed to help you write a cutting-edge and current thriller that studios are looking to purchase.