Don't Write a Script That Sucks: Avoid the Top 25 Mistakes Readers Hate
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Screenplay readers are the gatekeepers.
They're the assistants who read the thousands of scripts that land on the desks of producers, directors, actors, production companies, studios, agents, and managers. And their opinion can be the difference between getting your script read by the top decision-makers, or getting it tossed into the recycle bin.
How can you get your script to stand out in their world? How can you create something they stay up all night reading — that they can't put down, that they recommend to their higher-ups?
The short answer: Take this webinar.
Timothy Cooper has been a reader and script consultant for production companies and producers. He has figured out how to use the lessons he's learned to get past the readers, and has whittled down the hundreds of issues and pet peeves he noticed over the years into the top 25 mistakes you need to avoid.
In this webinar, Timothy will give you tips, tricks, and solutions to overcome the simple errors that even experienced writers can make. You'll focus on building a powerful initial story, developing an original plot, and creating outstanding dialogue, unique hooks, and memorable characters. He will divulge many of the secrets that top screenwriters know and use every day that they write.
Whether your script has been sitting on a shelf, hasn't gotten the traction you were hoping for, or hasn't even gotten started, this course will help your voice, story, and characters truly shine through. You'll finally have the tools you need to ensure that your script not only gets read but also gets passed upstream—to the people who make dream careers come true.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Build a powerful hook that makes your script go viral
- Construct a ticking clock that creates urgency
- Write an opening scene that shocks and snares the reader
- Create rich characters readers remember and care about—both antagonists and protagonists
- Construct a world that's original but clear, especially in the fantasy and sci-fi genres
- Write unexpected, page-turning dialogue, no matter what the genre
- Raise the stakes to create compelling action sequences
- Find resources that help you stay on top of trends and avoid clichés
- Make your reader stay up late to finish your script
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Filmmakers hoping to snag their first agent or manager
- New writers looking for a fresh perspective on a story they've been thinking about for ages
- More experienced writers who know their script isn't breaking through, but aren't sure why
- Those looking to punch up an existing screenplay, or solve problems before they crop up while developing a new story from scratch
- Writers who want original techniques to make their script stand out from the crowd
- Anyone who's eager to make their characters, dialogue, action, and storytelling stronger
- Screenwriters looking to make their first-ever script sale!
- Date available: 10/29/2013
- Publication date: 10/29/2013
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Timothy Cooper
Timothy Cooper is a filmmaker, playwright, comedy writer, and teacher based in Brooklyn, New York. As the founder of Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he's worked with hundreds of writers and companies worldwide to help them sell their scripts and tell their stories through TV and film.
He wrote and directed the web sitcom Concierge: The Series, starring comedians from Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Bridesmaids, Last Comic Standing, ...