Developing the High-Concept Screenplay
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Modern Hollywood has a torrid love affair with the high-concept feature film. The simpler the concept is, the easier it is to not only sell the property but actually get it green-lit. Industry professionals call them the fast read and smart screenwriters use specific techniques to execute their high-concepts – whether they be comedies, action-thrillers, or dramas. This webinar will cover those techniques with step-by step instructions and real-life examples that show how to propel your high concept through character, plot and storyline that will expand upon the central premise without slowing the narrative down.
This webinar will cover the craft elements necessary to create a compelling, fast paced narrative screenplay structure for a high-concept script. Topics will include the necessary A- and B-story structure that will keep the reader invested in the outcome. This webinar will demystify the process of writing a high-concept script that avoids tropes and clichés while providing a satisfying, climactic ending that fulfills the promise of your high-concept.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to deconstruct your high-concept into a 3-act structure for maximum dramatic impact.
- How to identifying your main characters goals in the “A” story that will keep the narration moving forward.
- How to create a compelling “B” story to keep the audience emotionally invested.
- How to avoid clichés while setting up the all-important, twist ending.
- Tips on how to develop your high-concept so it doesn’t lose steam by the all-important final climax.
- How to use misdirection to keep your reader guessing and intrigued.
- How to create tension on the page that keeps the audience watching.
- How to embed a circular structure that brings character and story full-circle for a satisfying and must re-watch ending.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Screenwriters who are interested in writing a compelling script based on a high-concept.
- Writers who want to develop a simple storyline in a complex and sophisticated structure.
- Screenwriters who want to avoid clichés and tropes in their script.
- Writers who want to take their genre writing to the next level.
- Writers who want to develop a script that can be sold in one logline sentence.
- Screenwriters who want to increase their chances of selling a screenplay by giving Hollywood producers, stars and directors what they want.
- Screenwriters who want to squeeze every ounce out of their high-concept.
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Jon James Miller
Jon James Miller is an award-winning screenwriter and novelist. He loves movies “based on a true story” that are actually based on a true story. In addition to his literary work, Jon is co-owner of the newly revived, much beloved Ben Cooper, Inc. brand, taking classic Halloween costumes and vacuum formed vinyl mask magic of the past and bringing it back in a new line of Ben Cooper costume-inspired collectibles just in time for Halloween 2017. Jon is represented by Sandra Dijkstra Literary. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org