Creating the Short Film
We also offer a live, instructor-led online course.
A short film is a great way to get your voice heard and to enter into the screenwriting market. A number of prestigious short film contests exist to help screenwriters build or enhance their credentials. And the ever-lowering cost of production has opened the doors to more projects. Because of the compressed format of short films, the demands on the writer are in many ways even greater because there is less time (fewer pages) to convey an engaging story and compelling characters. Knowing how to successfully craft a short film screenplay is essential in grabbing the reader’s attention.
This course offers comprehensive tools and insights for writing the short film. An overview of various genres and types from avant-garde to mainstream short films will be explored. Examples from a variety of short films will be referenced to offer insights into what works and what doesn’t, and how to keep the reader engaged. The fundamentals of writing the short film will be examined through online lectures, written assignments and creative exercises, created to both inspire and educate. Specific strategies on developing and writing a successful short film script will include tools on making every second of your short film count!
This workshop is offered in two formats. The budget-friendly On Demand option (which is for sale here) gives you the option to work on the same great workshop materials as the Online option, only without instructor feedback. You'll immediately receive our comprehensive course in PDF format, which provides instructions and exercises on specific skills you will need to succeed as a screenwriter. You can purchase the On Demand option here. To get the Online option with instructor feedback and online discussions with other students, please click here. In this online writing course you will learn
- How to convey a compelling story in a short amount of time.
- Tools on raising the stakes in the plot.
- How to avoid common pitfalls when writing short films.
- Structural strategies.
- How to make the most of visual storytelling.
- Tips on creating a page-turner.
- Advice on how to develop multi-dimensional characters.
- Insights for writing gripping scenes.
- Techniques to make action paragraphs jump off the page.
- Tools to write dialogue that will define each character.
Session One: Inspiration, Ideas, and Implementation
- Introduction to the course
- Overview of the styles and types
- Translating ideas onto the page
- Themes and tropes
Session Two: Characterization and Dynamic Dialogue
- Developing Multi-dimensional Characters
- Characters’ Internal and External Lives
- Characters’ Journeys and Arcs
- Back Story
- Discovering Each Character’s Voice
Session Three: Story, and Conflict
- Structural Components
- Story and Emotional Beats
- Turning Points
- Inciting Incident
- Crises and Conflicts
- Resolution and Dénouement
Session Four: Structure, Settings, Visual Storytelling, Exposition
- Establishing Settings
- Locations and Practicality
- Conveying the Story With and Without Dialogue
- Exposition and Back story Techniques
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.