Creating Strong Female Characters
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
If publishers and producers always tout that they want stories with strong female characters, why are so few making it to the screen or page? There is as much confusion about what makes for a strong female character as there is how to write one. Can men understand the ‘female experience’ well enough to write good female characters or should that be left in the hands of women writers?
In this webinar, Christine Conradt, one of the most prolific writers for Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network, examines how culture, feminism, and traditional gender roles, and the notion of romance complicate the task of writing strong female characters and how to recognize and overcome these obstacles. She also explains beat by beat how to create complex characters and discusses whether the adage ‘Men are from Mars and women are from Venus’ is a hinder or a help in the creation of female protagonists.
The webinar is designed to help writers of all levels re-examine their own perspective of male-female relationships, gender-specific characteristics, and women’s roles in both society and literature/film. You will leave the webinar with a better understanding of why this is such a complicated issue, how to sort through those complexities and a check list of characteristics of a strong/complex/layered characters (male or female!).
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to write a layered, complex character
- How to re-examine your own personal views of male/female differences
- How to recognize gender-specific stereotypes and avoid them
- Whether to embrace or avoid gender differences
- To temper traditional notions of romance (e.g., damsel in distress) with female characters that break the stereotype
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers looking to improve character development skills
- Writers that want to better understand how culture affects their writing
- Writers that want to create a TV show, film, or book for producers/publishers seeking stories with strong female leads
- Writers that are looking to attach a specific actress to their pilot/screenplay
- Writers that have never before written a female protagonist
- Writers that want to create better-layered secondary characters
- Writers that write in the romance genre
- Writers that typically write male-driven genres like action and sci-fi
- Writers that want to influence the way women are perceived in society
- Writers that want to break in to mediums or networks with a largely female demographic (Hallmark, Lifetime, LMN, OWN, UPtv)
- Writers that are looking to pitch ideas at an upcoming pitchfest
- Writers that want to create characters that are positive female role models for young women
- Date available: 05/14/2014
- Publication date: 05/14/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Christine Conradt
Christine Conradt is an L.A.-based screenwriter/producer with four indie features and more than 40 made-for-tv movies that have aired on Lifetime, LMN, USA, and Fox. She is the primary writer behind Lifetime’s most successful franchises including the “at 17” series, the “Perfect” series, the “Secret” series and the “Met Online” series. Originally from Nebraska, Christine moved to Los Angeles to attend the Cinematic Arts program at the University of Southern California where she obtained a degree in screenwriting. She later went on to receive a Masters in Criminal Justice from Boston University. She’s been featured in Now Write! Screenwriting and Now W...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $59.99
Details: Creating characters that jump off the page is no easy task, but thanks to this new collection you can grab all the tools you need to make it happen. No matter your character type—protagonist, antagonist, minor, mythical, male, or female—this collection will give you the tools and the strategies to construct realistic characters with believable behaviors and attributes. Buy the premium collection today and make your characters come to life!
Available for a limited time!