Creating Compelling Emotional Conflict
Many screenwriters focus on the rising conflict of the plot while foregoing the emotional stakes of their characters. Building the emotional conflicts of central characters is what moves an audience and creates films that are truly memorable and commercially successful. You will learn practical tools to make an audience connect with your characters on a deep, primal level.
The webinar will be taught by Glenn M. Benest, award winning screenwriter and one of Los Angeles’ most popular instructors of screenwriting workshops.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to establish the emotional stakes of a story as early as possible
- How to set up those emotional conflicts that ebb and flow and finally bring closure to a character’s inner struggle
- How to create the character arc
- The mosts successful form of character conflict: the dilemma
- How to delineate compelling flaws in a protagonist’s make-up without losing the audience’s sympathy for that character
- How plot relates to the character arc of your protagonist
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
- Writers who want to learn how to create successful, compelling characters
- Writers who want to bring more emotional depth to their stories
- Writers who want to break the mold of formulaic writing
- Writers who want to learn the keys to screenwriting that are commercial as well as artistically successful
- Writers who want to learn how the step-by-step tools of building a dynamic, compelling protagonist
- Date available: 06/16/2014
- Publication date: 06/16/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Glenn M. Benest
Glenn M. Benest is an award-winning writing producer with seven produced screenplays, including two that were directed by Wes Craven. His independent film, HUNGRY HEARTS, was nominated for numerous awards at film festivals throughout the country and is being distributed internationally by Shoreline Entertainment. Mr. Benest is a celebrated lecturer and instructor and his professional screenwriting workshops have launched six feature films, including SCREAM and EVENT HORIZON.