Break Into Reality Television Writing
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Reality television has proven itself to be more than a fad, but now that the novelty is wearing off, the real story careers belong to those who know how great story works and can translate that knowledge into this booming field. Unlike traditionally scripted shows, you can't break in with a great spec... you'll need to know the entry points and what makes a great storyteller in the genre. The truth about reality television is seldom discussed, and it's at once more and less manipulated than you think.
Reality is a collaborative genre, and understanding the hierarchy of production will help you as you begin a career. You'll learn not only the basics of story, but gain an understanding of the way story departments and shows are constructed. What are logs? Beat sheets? OTFs? Learn the lingo and talk the talk from the very beginning.
Troy DeVolld has been active in reality for more than fourteen years, and brings with him the experience of having worked on several hit shows as a story producer, supervising producer and co-executive producer. He'll share how to compose and conduct great interviews, map out and arrange the content you need, and how to deal with cast, execs and networks effectively.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The fundamentals of creating quality stories that track
- How to compose and conduct interviews and the basics of working with talent
- How to ensure you get what you need in the field
- The collaborative nature of field and post teams
- How to position yourself as you begin a career in reality
- The story ladder and plotting a career trajectory
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Writers who are looking to transition from traditional scripted to reality
- Aspiring creators of reality content seeking to get an overview of the process
- Media students whose education may be lacking a reality/nonfic component
- Network and agency assistants and new execs looking for an overview of the process
- Writers looking to broaden their skill set
- Date available: 07/29/2014
- Publication date: 07/29/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Troy DeVolld
Troy DeVolld survived careers as an executive assistant and comic book artist before finding his way into Reality Television, where he currently works as a Supervising Producer. Since relocating to Los Angeles from Tampa, Florida, in late 2000, Troy has worked on many top Reality shows including The Osbournes, The Surreal Life, Dancing with the Stars, Flipping Out, and Basketball Wives. He shared a Daytime Emmy® nomination in 2009 as a Producer on Style Network’s Split Ends.
Troy has had the pleasure of lecturing on the topic of Reality Television production...