Based on a True Story: How to Secure, Write, and Sell Non-Fiction Screenplays & Book Proposals
Use Hollywood's propensity for "true stories" and the publishing world's voracious appetite for non-fiction to your advantage. Screenplays based on true stories and creative non-fiction books sell faster than fiction in today's marketplace - but they also present unique challenges to the writer. In this OnDemand webinar, you'll learn what you need to know to get your true story down on the page and up on the screen.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The difference between a creative non-fiction book and a screenplay based on a true story.
- A template for creating a non-fiction book proposal that is “familiar yet fresh.”
- How to write an execution-dependent screenplay that will get Hollywood’s attention.
- Strategies to navigate the marketplace and avoid the “slush pile.”
- How to write query letters and get the attention of agents, publishers, and film producers.
- How to adapt a true story to screenplay or novel.
- How to copyright your material and protect your rights to your story.
- How to build a platform for your non-fiction book or screenplay.
WHO SHOULD WATCH?
- Writers who want to explore the lucrative world of non-fiction
- Writers who want to secure an advance on a non-fiction book proposal
- Writers who want to attract representation to move their writing careers forward
- Writers who want to option and adapt a non-fiction story
- Writers who want to write about a famous character or event from history
- Writers who want to build a writing career
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.
- Manufacturer The Writers Store, Inc.
- Date available: 03/13/2012
- Publication date: 03/13/2012
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Charlotte Cook
Charlotte Cook, MFA, a former publisher brought to publication six award-winning novels before returning to story editing and consulting in 2010. Writer’s Digest, Shelf Awareness, and Publishers Weekly featured her and her philosophy on publishing during her tenure at KOMENAR. Charlotte has taught writing and story theory since 1993 and been a popular featured guest speaker and workshop leader at writers conferences throughout California and across the U.S. Many of her students have been published, found agents, won contests, and entered graduate programs. Charlotte has also served as a final judge in several fiction categories for the annual intern...
Meet the Author: Jon James Miller
Jon James Miller won Grand Prize of the 2008 AAA Screenplay Contest sponsored by Creative Screenwriting Magazine, the 2009 Golden Brad for Drama and was a finalist in the 2011 Austin Writers Conference for “Garbo’s Last Stand.” Jon co-wrote Adapting Sideways: How To Turn Your Screenplay Into A Publishable Novel (Komenar Publishing), which chronicled the process of adapting his screenplay to novel. Garbo’s Last Stand is Jon’s first novel. He is represented by Sandra Dijkstra Literary Agency and Kevin Cleary with Pooka Entertainment.
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $49.99
Details: In today’s marketplace, creative non-fiction and screenplays based on true stories are selling faster than fiction. A-list actors and agents know this and are more likely to read your screenplay if it’s based on true events. In this kit, you’ll learn how to harness the intrigue of this unique genre and find the best “story” to tell within your true story. With step-by-step instruction from screenwriters in the industry, you’ll learn the best process to follow in developing a true story screenplay that sells.