Amp Up the Stakes: Create a Ticking Clock
At a Glance
ABOUT THIS WEBINAR
Urgency, tension and conflict are all essential ingredients in a script that will keep readers up all night, but it can be difficult to be sure that your script has those elements turned up in their script. The easiest way to ensure that you never fall into the trap of writing a boring script: create a ticking clock or a ticking time bomb. The most memorable scripts are those that include a time dependent crisis. Timothy Cooper will guide you through creating the ticking clock in your own story and show you how you can dial up the urgency and tension by making small changes to your script. It’s possible that your script is just a few tweaks away from being the game changing script that will grab and hold your readers.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Tighten your film's time frame to ratchet up tension
- Give your protagonist the biggest challenge he/she has ever faced
- Steadily ramp up conflict throughout the script
- Construct the vital but underutilized midpoint turn Illustrate characters' internal arcs with visual, film-worthy external signifiers Invoke the almost too-easy “3/4 trick”
- Double the pressure in your climax
- Use recent blockbusters as templates
- Add tension and stakes within romcom, comedy, and indie genres—not just thriller, sci-fi, and horror
- Date available: 01/03/2014
- Publication date: 01/03/2014
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Timothy Cooper
Timothy Cooper is a filmmaker, playwright, comedy writer, and teacher based in Brooklyn, New York. As the founder of Blueprint Screenwriting Group, he's worked with hundreds of writers and companies worldwide to help them sell their scripts and tell their stories through TV and film.
He wrote and directed the web sitcom Concierge: The Series, starring comedians from Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Bridesmaids, Last Comic Standing, ...