Adapting Charlie Kaufman: The Eternal Brilliance of His Non-Linear Storytelling
Academy Award winning Charlie Kaufman is undeniably one of our greatest contemporary writers. With each new project, he pushes the envelope further into the surreal and absurd yet somehow manages to ground his realistic, struggling characters in complicated, modern plots.
Not only are Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Synecdoche, New York, Human Nature and Anomalisa (his Kickstarter campaign) – to name just a few – some of the most cinematically innovative and conceptually stimulating films of our era, but they are meaningful, layered with universal, timeless themes.
In this webinar, Writer, Director and Producer (and huge fan) Heather Hale will share her awe through an in-depth examination of how Kaufman constructs his characters and stories to continually enlighten and excite – with an eye to the tools and techniques you might try to incorporate his approaches into your own unique work.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- The innovative ways Charlie Kaufman demonstrates the passage of time.
- Cinematic methods he uses to communicate interior monologue.
- How many of his characters “step outside” of their stories.
- The ways he violates the 4th wall.
- How he immerses himself, his characters and audiences in the chaos of each emotional experience.
- How story and structure reflect one another.
- Ways to achieve character dualities that express inner struggles.
- Techniques to create atmosphere, mood, tone and spirit.
- The importance of failure to creativity.
- How to trust where the work takes you.
- How to write specific to the film medium.
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers who want to get out of their comfort zones and move deeper into the truths they are struggling to articulate.
- Writers wanting to discover and honor their own unique voice.
- Writers who want to share something honest with the world through your art.Writers who want to break free from all the industry-dictated templates and formulas to stretch their creative muscles by trusting their imagination and instincts.
- Writers who need help expanding the scope of a premise or combining story ideas.
- Writers who wants to explore their dreams as sources for story ideas.
- Writers revising completed screenplays.
- Writers seeking inspiration for their next project.
- Charlie Kaufman fans.
- Date available: 11/21/2014
- Publication date: 11/21/2013
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Heather Hale
Heather Hale is a film and television writer, director and producer, as well as a script consultant and popular international speaker. Her credits include writing, directing and producing Snitch, a feature thriller that starred Edward Furlong (Terminator 2), Ed Asner (Up, Lou Grant) and Meat Loaf Aday (Fight Club, Rocky Horror Picture Show); writing The Courage to Love, the $5.5 million dollar 2000 Lifetime Original Movie that starred Vanessa Williams, Diahann Carroll, Gil Bellows and Stacy Keach, two PBS series that both won Emmys and two series for Faith for Today TV that both won Tellys...
Buy Together and Save
Total List Price:
Package Price: $69.99
Details: Tarantino, Nolan, Cameron, Kaufman, Gilligan, and the Coen Brothers! Is there a better example of top-notch writing and filmmaking in the industry? This collection of seven webinars contains insight on the inner working of Hollywood's best. If you want to be a writer at the top of the pyramid of excellence, this collection is for you.