The Write Start Contest
The Writer Start Contest Winners have been chosen!
With so many great submissions, NYFA has decided to up the 6 scholarships to a total of 8!
Top 8 Winners:
- J.L. Ivory, “A Dark Contradiction”
- Jennifer Null, “Reich”
- Ross Denyer, “Keyword: Cars (A Romance)”
- Melissa Knatchbull, “Threepenny Fever”
- Katherine Vaz, “Our Lady of the Artichokes”
- Denise Meyers, “The Motorcycle Queen of Miami”
- Danny Davis, “The Cape or the Trigger”
- Dan Castaldi, “Early Retirement”
And the runner-ups:
- Liam Brennan, “Gutter Press”
- Lori Stansal, “Fool’s Game”
- Richard Maddocks, “The Unseen”
- Mark Casadei, “The Saccade”
- Eileen Beard, “Dead in the Water”
- Erik Fetler, “Symbiosis”
- Paola Ariza, “The Pits”
- John Carpenter, “Walking with the Devil”
There’s no better way to commence a screenwriting career than with a quality education. That’s why we’ve partnered with the prestigious New York Film Academy (NYFA) for a contest that awards six winners with scholarships to NYFA's 8-Week Screenwriting Workshop. This program is valued at $3,300 per scholarship, and results in a completed screenplay.
Here’s how it works:
- Contestants create a "one-sheet" based on their screenplay idea, which will serve as the initial concept for the 8-Week Screenwriting Workshop.
- Submit your one-sheet to be judged by distinguished faculty and industry experts.
- Six winners will be chosen from the submissions for attendance in the NYFA 8-Week Screenwriting Workshop
- The six winners start their NYFA 8-Week Screenwriting Workshop at the beginning of 2014
Check out our free "How to Create a Screenplay One-Sheet" video to learn how to translate your idea into a one-sheet.
The Write Start Contest is open to all genres, and has a budget-friendly $20 fee to enter. This is your chance learn from the pros, and add an impressive education line to your resume.
Plus, the top 20 one-sheet submissions will be read by execs at these top production companies:
34th Street Films
After Dark Films
Crystal Sky Entertainment
Echo Lake Entertainment
New Wave Entertainment
Universal Writers Management
Sign up for your chance to win an NYFA 8-Week Screenwriting Workshop now!
About the NYFA 8-Week Screenwriting Program
The New York Film Academy has distilled the essential elements from the world's best screenwriting program to create an intensive screenwriting workshop. It is designed for individuals with little or no screenwriting experience who are ready, willing, and able to work and learn within a fast-paced, high pressure, focused environment.
With strict adherence to the rituals of writing and learning, students have the opportunity to develop a feature length screenplay of 90-120 pages. The goal is to finish the course with a first draft on an original screenplay.
The New York Film Academy stresses fundamental writing concepts and techniques. Topics covered during the course include:
- Classic Screenplay Structure
- Character Arcs
- Voice Over
- WGA Format
- Style and Tone
- Dramaturgy - Cinematic Syntax
- Practical Insights to the Business of Screenwriting
The Write Start Contest is sponsored by Stage32.com
Stage 32 is a community for those working in or with a desire to work in film or theater. It's a site to gather, to discuss and develop projects, to join actor with director, director with producer, producer with cast and crew. Join Stage 32 and start building your network now.
Looking for the regulations and answers to specific questions? Check out The Write Start Contest’s FAQs.
- Contest Begins: October 1, 2013
- Early Deadline: November 15, 2013
- Early Fee: $20
- Standard Deadline: November 30, 2013
- Standard Fee: $30
- Winners Announced: December 2013
- NYFA Program Begins: January 2014