Screenplay Replay Contest: Where Your Winning Script Gets a Publishing Deal
In today's competitive script marketplace, adaptation is king. From The Hunger Games to The Help to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, an incalculable number of blockbuster scripts started their lives as successful books.
So why not give your own spec screenplay a second life as a novel?
Screenplay Replay is an international competition calling for submissions of complete full-length screenplays in any genre. From these entries, one lucky winner will be chosen by our panel of esteemed judges to work with a successful ghostwriter to adapt his or her screenplay into a novel, which will be published through an imprint of F+W Media, and sold through major distribution channels.
This is a life-changing opportunity to become a published author, enjoying an income stream from your book's royalties!
It's also a great way for screenwriters to transition into novel writing or just add this in-demand skill to their writing repertoires. Plus, a published novel is a fresh and exciting way to get your story out there in front of Hollywood buyers and possibly get your film made!
You believe in your script. You might have even submitted it to some screenwriting contests. But now’s it’s time for the story at the core of your screenplay to take center stage. Because at Screenplay Replay, that’s exactly what we’re looking for: a great story.
Enter your script in the Screenplay Replay contest now!
The Screenplay Replay Contest Grand Prize
- Work with a New York Times Best-Selling author to adapt your screenplay into a novel
- Your completed novel will be published under one of F+W Media's imprints
- Your published book will be available in physical and e-book form through Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other retailers
- Receive 25 personal copies of your published novel
- Enjoy royalties from your book’s sales
- Above prizes valued at $25,000!
Additional prizes courtesy of sponsor Abbott Press
The Elite publishing package combines some of Abbott Press's best services into one package so you can confidently launch your book into the marketplace. Our professionals will work with you to give your book the polish and confidence it deserves through services such as our Editorial Review. Your book will also gain extra exposure with a feature in the Abbott Press catalog, a valuable service included in this package. You also have the chance to be picked up by F+W Media, the parent company of Writer's Digest and The Writers Store. Click here for complete package details.
2nd Runner-Up – Premium Package ($1,799 Value)
We know you’ve written a great book. We also know that book deserves to be read by a wide audience. If you’re ready to share your book with that audience, then the Premium publishing package is for you. The Premium package takes all the features of the Essentials Package and adds promotional materials, Barnes and Noble See Inside the Book, the Book Buyers Preview — services that help you work toward successful book promotion and sales. Click here for complete package details.
3rd Runner-Up – Essentials Package ($999 Value)
Providing you with the tools to publish the book you’ve always wanted, our Essentials publishing package will start you down the road to publishing success. This package is perfect for the author who wants to publish a book for a smaller audience or simply for personal satisfaction of seeing his or her name in print. However, with professional services and worldwide distribution, your book will be ready for a larger market as well. Click here for complete package details.
4th Runner-Up – Starter Package ($699 Value)
The Abbott Press Starter Package includes One-on-One Author Support helping you navigate the waters of self-publishing your completed novel. You retain full rights to your material, control over the design and content, and channel distribution to 25K retailers worldwide! Click here for complete package details.
The top 25 Finalists will be awarded:
- Storymill Software, a word processing and story development program for fiction writers
- Script to Novel OnDemand Webinar with authors Charlotte Cook and Jon Miller, and a copy of their book, Adapting Sideways, on turning your script into a novel
- A free edition of Hollywood Screenwriters Directory and a 1-year subscription to WritersMarket.com
- 40% off an Abbott Press Publishing Package*
Screenplay Replay Sponsors
As part of the Writer’s Digest family, Abbott Press offers expert publishing assistance that you won’t find elsewhere, along with top-notch educational opportunities that can help improve every aspect of your writing life.
*Black and White or Color, with the exception of E-book, Starter, Essentials, or Basic (Color) packages.
2013 Contest Details:
- Contest Begins: May 15, 2013
- Early Deadline: June 30, 2013
- Early Fee: $50
- Standard Deadline: September 30, 2013
- Standard Fee: $75
- Finalists Announced: October 2013
- Finalist Prizes Awarded: October 2013
- Winner Announced: November 2013
- Book Publication: 2014
2012 Contest Recap
- Contest Begins: June 2012
- Early Deadline: July 31, 2012
- Early Fee: $50
- Standard Deadline: September 30, 2012
- Standard Fee: $75
- Extended Deadline: October 31, 2012
- Extended Fee: $100
- Finalists Announced: November 2012
- Finalist Prizes Awarded: November 2012
- Winner Announced: Early December 2012
- Book Publication: 2013
“I’d like to give my sincere thanks to The Writers Store for affording me this wonderful opportunity. I learned during my internship with Peter Miller, a renowned literary manager, that adaptation really is king, and can be more than beneficial to a writer’s career. I therefore felt it was a godsend for me to have stumbled across the Screenplay Replay Contest, which I felt was a very different sort of screenplay competition, in that it gives writers the chance to diversify their repertoire and engage completely different audiences, making them a much hotter commodity. And I must say that I am extremely honored to have been choses as the Grand Prize Winner! I really couldn’t believe it. All I could saw was, “No. Way.” – Erica Butler, 2012 Sreenplay Replay Grand Prize Winner
2012 Top 25 Finalists:
- Erica Butler, “One For All”
- Sarah Brocmann, “Cracksman’s Bird”
- Steven Lundin, “The Shangri-La Cafe”
- Lily Mariye, “Hotel Cairo”
- Emre Ozpirincci, “Hotel Cairo”
- Joseph Horning, “The Darkness on the Edge of Town”
- K. Ray, “The Magnificents: Clash of Angels”
- A.J. Meyers & Richard L. Winslow, “The Terminal Call”
- Kim Putman, “The Bond”
- Dave Merlino & Dustin Sweet, “Bloodlines”
- Adam Cece, “The Last Viking Stag”
- Eric Borden, “Fever”
- Nicole Jones, “Dragon Sea”
- Robert Jason Clark, “Awaken”
- Shane McCabe, “Next of Kin”
- Jonah Heller, “Jenny Penny and the World That Never Was”
- Robert McAndrew, “Alone Like This”
- James Wolf, “Heart of Marble”
- Danielle Barros, “The Executioner”
- Ken Lemm, “Drum”
- Jon Christopher, “The Gypsy”
- Karen Lam, “Evangeline”
- Malcolm Carter, “Family Values”
- Michael Toay, “Rubicon”
- Steven Lundin, “Border Clash”
Special thanks to everyone that entered. This was a huge accomplishment for all finalists. Thank you to our sponsors Abbott Press, StoryMill and Writers Market.