Next Level Novel Workshop
At a Glance
You can learn how to be a great writer. eBooks or print, self-published or traditional: the keys to popular fiction must be mastered for long term success.
Join bestselling author James Scott Bell for a two day power-packed workshop that will teach you the secrets of writing novels and screenplays that buyers desperately desire. Some call it “voice” or something “fresh.” No matter what you call it – that special something is what your writing needs – and what it will get when you attend this workshop.
In these two days you will learn:
- The single most important secret to selling your work to publishers–or directly to readers. Odds are you've never been taught this. You'll get it in the first hour of the seminar.
- The one plot element most writers miss, dooming their chances of selling. (Note: this applies to every genre, from comedy to tragedy and everything in between.)
- How a misunderstanding of "character arc" might actually be hurting your story… and what you can do about it.
- Why "inciting incident" is confusing, and the more powerful concept that replaces it.
- An actual process for mining irresistible stories out of your writer's mind.
- Why dialogue is the fastest way to improve your story instantly, and the specific tools to take yours to the highest level of conflict and tension.
- The one crucial element that applies to every scene of your book or script (without it, your story will drag).
- How to bond a reader with a character so they have to finish your novel or screenplay.
- What a "plot point" really is, and more important, what you need to do to make them work.
- How to craft the perfect finishing touch: a knock-out ending.
The workshop is interactive. Bring a project you’re working on, or an idea you want to develop.
Saturday, August 11- Sunday, August 12, 20129 a.m. - 4 p.m.
706 Church St.
Nashville, TN 37203
Continental Breakfast & Lunch Included
Saturday, September 15 - Sunday, September 16, 2012
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Kingsgate Conference Center at U. of Cincinnati
151 Goodman Dr.
Cincinnati, OH 45219
Continental Breakfast & Lunch Included
Previous attendees said:
"I needed advice before I tried to write a novel. The usual axiom — write what you know — wasn't helpful. So I turned to James Scott Bell. He taught me how to structure a great entrance — the equivalent of gliding down a spiral staircase in a wedding gown — and how to keep the next 400 pages from becoming as hopelessly tangled as the crumpled papers and wads of gum in my old desk. My novel sold." – Sarah Pekkanan, author of The Opposite of Me
"Time well spent. I expect this seminar to inform my writing for years." – Jerry B. Jenkins, #1 New York Times bestselling author
"I am inspired by Bell's enthusiastic approach, and impressed with his numerous, helpful insights into the craft of storytelling." – Bill Marsilii, screenwriter, Déjà vu
“I highly recommend James Scott Bell and his ability to break down the secrets of screenwriting and novel writing into manageable pieces. His plot and structure expertise really explains the essential elements in practical and understandable terms. And as a bestselling novelist himself, he speaks from experience.” – Cheryl McKay, Screenwriter, The Ultimate Gift & co-author of Never the Bride: A Novel
"I had a novel with problems I didn't know how to solve. After James Scott Bell's class, I knew the solutions. This was easily the most practical writing class I ever attended. I sold my novel using what I learned." — Darrell James, author of Nazareth Child
“Jim uses his sense of humor and years of wisdom to bring you practical instruction in the art of story. You'll come away with tools you need to get started or get better, and -- more importantly for most writers -- the inspiration to get it done." –– Andrea Nasfell, Screenwriter, What If…
- Date available: 05/18/2012
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: James Scott Bell
James Scott Bell is the #1 bestselling author of the writing book Plot & Structure, and thrillers like Deceived, Try Dying, Watch Your Back, One More Lie and many more. His short fiction has appeared in two anthologies and he is currently at work on a series of pulp style boxing stories featuring Irish Jimmy Gallagher. Under the pen name K. Bennett he is also the author of the Mallory Caine zombie legal thriller series, which begins with Pay Me in Flesh.
Jim served as fiction columnist for Writer's Digest magazine, to which he frequently contributes, and has written four craft books for Writer’s Digest Books: Plot & Structure, Revision &...