Make Your First 10 Pages Shine
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
Success in Hollywood is often about making great first impressions—and it’s the same with your script. Since some executives and agents will only read the first 10 pages of your script, it’s imperative you grab the reader immediately, engage them in the world of your story, and make them want to keep reading.
This webinar covers 14 different elements and steps you can follow to ensure your script makes a great first impression and immediately grabs the reader. You’ll learn how to create the world of your screenplay from your opening image to setting up the tone, genre, characters, eliciting emotion, stakes, structure, theme, and writer’s voice. You’ll also discover the 10 most commonly-used ways to open your script. Danny Manus will examine the opening pages of Hollywood’s hottest scripts–explaining why they worked.
As a development executive, script consultant, producer, and contest judge, Danny Manus has read thousands of scripts and knows what it takes for a script to stand out.
ABOUT THE CRITIQUE:
All participants in this webinar are invited to submit the first five pages (or first scene) of their script for a personal critique from Danny Manus!
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to make a great first impression, on page one, and open your script with a bang
- The 14 elements your first 10 pages must have
- The 10 most effective ways to open your script
- How some of Hollywood’s hottest scripts start and why they work
- What your opening image needs to convey
- What “creating a world” truly involves
- How to immediately set up the genre, tone, mood, conflict, setting, and emotion of the story
- How to make your characters feel dynamic from the first page and effective ways to introduce them
- How to get your voice across on page one
- How these 14 elements will help you build to your inciting incident and what the inciting incident must accomplish
- The power of a great title and the pitfalls of bad titles
WHO SHOULD LISTEN?
- Writers planning on submitting their work to companies or contests
- Writers who want to make sure their opening scenes are dynamic and create an engaging world
- Writers who want to make sure they are setting up their stories in the strongest way possible
- Writers who struggle with how to start and open their stories
- Writers who want to learn how to make a great first impression on the page
- Writers looking to find out what executives are looking for
- Writers who are stumped on titles
- Writers who want to see examples of top Hollywood scripts
Participate Live or Watch Later
This webinar includes both access to the live webinar where you may interact with the presenter and the recorded, on-demand edition for your video library. Each registration comes with access to the archived version of the program and the materials for one year. You do not have to attend the live event to get a recording of the presentation. In all webinars, no question goes unanswered. Attendees have the ability to chat with the instructor during the live event and ask questions. You will receive a copy of the webinar presentation in an e-mail that goes out one week after the live event. The answers to questions not covered in the live presentation will be included in this e-mail as well.
BONUS: With purchase of this webinar, you will receive $79.99 off of a yearly subscription to the Screenwriting Tutorials website, which has specialized tutorials from experts that explore screenwriting topics covered nowhere else on the web!
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: This webinar will be broadcast using GoToWebinar. To see if your system is compatible with GoToWebinar, please review this page, which lists the system requirements for the software.
The Writers Store does not offer any refunds for the webinar. All sales are final.
- Date available: 10/14/2013
- Publication date: 10/14/2013
- Return policy: This item is not eligible for return.
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Daniel Manus
Daniel Manus has been a development executive (Clifford Werber Productions, Sandstorm Films), producer, and in-demand script consultant in Hollywood for several years and is the founder of No BullScript Consulting. He was ranked in the top 15 “Cream of the Crop” Script Consultants by Creative Screenwriting Magazine, 2010, and is the author of “No B.S. for Screenwriters: Advice from the Executive Perspective.” He teaches seminars across the country and is a weekly columnist for The Business of Show Institute and Script Magazine’s website....