Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest - Todd Garner
Yesterday, winner Paul Boyer paid the Writers Store a visit, before he headed off to his lunch meeting with Todd Garner at The Ivy and a meeting at Benderspink. We can't wait to hear about how his big meetings went!
The 15-page submissions from the finalists are now available for download!
Do you have what it takes to be one of our next finalists? Read these pages to see what set these finalists apart from the rest.
The winner has been chosen!
Congratulations to Paul David Boyer, winner of the Industry Insider Contest with his script, "Triangled."
"(My Specialist) Anthony Grieco pushed me harder than any other screenwriting teacher or mentor I've ever had. And in the end, the results were well worth the effort. His eye for pacing, ear for dialogue, sense for character and mind for story left an indelible mark on the way I write."
- Paul David Boyer, Contest Winner, Triangled
Top 10 Finalists:
- Jennifer Green, “Triangle” – Kensington, MD
- Jeff Meares, “The Deep End” – Australia
- Kevin O’Leary and Patrick Trillo, “The Fourth Horseman” – Winston-Salem, NC
- Tyler Runde, “The Bermuda Device” – Round Rock, TX
- Thomas Ryan Cuming, “The Son of Edward Teach” – Santa Ana, CA
- Paul Boyer, “Triangled” – Puyallup, WA
- K Ray and Robert Statzer, “The Magnificents: Clash of Angels” - Stone Mountain, GA
- Doug Penikas, “The Golden Triangle” – Anaheim, CA
- Samuel Minier, “Beyond the Indigo Veil” – Springfield, OH
- Andy Nordvall, “My Safest Adventure” – Los Angeles, CA
A father and son find themselves trapped in the Bermuda Triangle after embarking on a quest to discover what happened to the father's missing parents.
Break out your scriptwriting software and get to work, because the Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest gives you the unique opportunity to turn this idea into a solid spec screenplay that could be your ticket to Hollywood success.
The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest is an international screenwriting competition that facilitates relationships between new writers and Industry leaders looking to help aspirants embark on writing careers.
Working from this A-list logline, you’re challenged to create up to the first 15 pages of an original script based on the given concept. Make it your own - drama, action, sci-fi... anywhere your imagination takes you.
But it doesn’t stop there. The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest goes much further than your average competition, by providing the top 10 finalists with mentors to guide them through the entire script creation process, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay to be judged by a panel of Hollywood power players.
Here’s how it works:
- Entrants write up to the first 15 pages of a script based on the logline above, provided by Todd Garner
- The top 10 finalists are chosen from the submissions, and receive a personalized letter of congratulations from Todd Garner
- Each of the 10 finalists receives a copy of Movie Magic Screenwriter to professionally format their work as they enter into a 12-week Story Specialists mentoring program, consisting of feedback for every 10 pages submitted, with the goal of completing a spec screenplay based on the given logline
- After the mentoring, the finalists submit their rough drafts to our professional script readers for comprehensive Development Notes, and then have two weeks to work with their mentor and notes to complete the final draft of their screenplay for judging.
- Todd Garner and production company Benderspink judge the completed screenplays and choose a winner
The lucky winner of this scriptwriting contest receives a classic Industry experience, including transportation to Los Angeles and:
Lush Accommodations at the Chateau Marmont
The chic Chateau, conveniently nestled right off the Sunset Strip, will serve as the home base for the Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest winner. Thinking of the many opportunities to network and hobnob with the Hollywood elite that frequent this hotspot is mind-boggling!
One-on-One with Todd Garner at The Ivy
First on the agenda? Lunch with producer Todd Garner at Robertson Blvd.’s uber-popular bistro, known for its steady stream of celebs and location near power-agency ICM. The winner will take in some serious knowledge and know-how from Garner, while filling up on the Ivy’s famous nouvelle American cuisine.
Meeting with Benderspink
The Hollywood treatment continues through a conference with Benderspink, a diversified management/production company with credits including The Hangover, American Pie, and The Ring. Aspiring screenwriters dream of this kind of opportunity to meet with such an influential group, a fantasy that will come true for the lucky winner!
Movie Magic Screenwriter - Professional Formatting Software
Format your script and outline it, too, with the newly redesigned Movie Magic Screenwriter 6! This award-winning screenwriting software formats movies, television, novels, stage plays and even comic book scripts, making it the only program for all types of creative writing.
The Industry Insider Screenwriting Contest can give you the tools and the resources you need to complete a saleable screenplay. But besides the experience and the mentoring you could receive, placing in this competition shows that you can take another’s idea and turn it into a winning script - a trait that’s truly valued in Hollywood, and serves as a priceless addition to your screenwriting resume.
Todd Garner, the head of Broken Road Productions, is a veteran producer and Hollywood creative executive with a unique gift for creating and nurturing mainstream, commercial motion pictures. In various capacities throughout his career, Garner has developed, overseen, executive produced or produced well over 150 movies, many of them major hits for their respective studios. Formerly a founding partner of Revolution Studios and before that head of production at Disney, Garner founded Broken Road Productions in summer 2005.
Known for his strong relationships with top actors, directors and writers, Garner has numerous projects in various stages of development, pre-production, production, and post-production.
Broken Road is currently awaiting release of JACK & JILL with Adam Sandler and Al Pacino, and HERE COMES THE BOOM with Kevin James and Salma Hayek, both at Sony.
Broken Road most recently produced MGM and Sony’s ZOOKEEPER. The second partnership with Happy Madison Productions and ...
Want to know what the judges are looking for in the First 15 Pages? Click the orange button above to download the winning entries from this round’s finalists.
If you are an Industry Professional and have interest in reading any of the completed scripts, please contact Sadie Dean at The Writers Store.
Due to the subject matter, please be advised that some of the material in the pages available for download may be inappropriate for children.
- Contest Begins: October 2011
- Early Deadline: October 31, 2011
- Early Fee: $40
- Standard Deadline: November 30, 2011
- Standard Fee: $50
- Extended Deadline: December 31, 2011
- Finalists Announced: January 2012
- Mentor Program Begins: February 2012
- Mentor Program Ends: April 2012
- Announce Winner: June 2012
- Lunch with Todd Garner: August 2012
- Meetings: August 2012
“No other screenplay contest offers what the Industry Insider Contest does — a chance to develop your script alongside an industry professional. Some contests are about cash and prizes. The Industry Insider Contest is about advancing your career and developing material that can be successful in the marketplace. It’s about opening up doors.
- Tyler Marceca, The Disciple Program – Contest Winner (Robert Mark Kamen Round)
“There’s a really wonderful sense – from the beginning of the contest on — of how invested everyone at The Writers Store is in helping the finalists write a great script. From Mario’s, my Story Specialist’s, weekly call to the amazingly detailed Development Notes after the rough draft, to the terrific, encouraging updates and emails throughout, there’s a great sense of motivation and professionalism that’s very inspiring. I can’t say enough about this screenwriting contest. If I could, I would be a perpetual finalist!”
- Joshua Rebell, Old Boys Club – Contest Winner (Allan Loeb Round)
“I have a B.A. in Screenwriting, but I am an even better writer for having been a finalist in the Industry Insider Competition. This is boot camp for screenwriters — and it only takes fifteen pages to open the door to an invaluable experience. You’d be crazy to pass this up.”
- Kelsey Rude, Imaginary Bachelor (Allan Loeb Round)
“The whole experience was just fun — and instilled in me a work ethic and a drive to write which has persisted even after the contest’s end. Because of the Industry Insider Contest, I’m a better writer and I have a complete screenplay that I never would have written otherwise. It’s way too awesome an experience for any writer to pass up.”
- Zan Gillies, The Dark Side of Eden (Robert Mark Kamen Round)
“Just like a character in a screenplay, I started the contest hoping the reward would appear at the end of my journey and then realized that the reward was the journey itself. This is a contest you have to enter if you want to become a better writer.”
- Dan O’Donahue, The Magnesian Protocol (Robert Mark Kamen Round)
“If you are going to enter a screenwriting contest, then pick this one. In my opinion, this prize package is one of the very best in the industry.”
- Kari Ciardi, Alien Underground (Robert Mark Kamen Round)
“I wish everyone had the opportunity that I did and wish all of the future contestants the best of luck. Remember, being in the ‘top ten’ IS winning because the rest is up to you.”
- John Torma, Salmon Falls (Robert Mark Kamen Round)
“I had an amazing experience during the Industry Insider Contest. My story specialist, Anthony, was wonderful and the experience working with him was invaluable. I’m walking away from this competition with a well written screenplay and insights that I will carry with me throughout my screenwriting career. I recommend this competition to anyone who wants to challenge themselves and really take their screenwriting to the next level.”
- Tiffany Diamond, Imaginary Bachelor (Allan Loeb Round)
“Working to deadlines, re-writing and re-working after notes and comments is the life of a professional screenwriter, and this competition has given me an invaluable chance to experience that first hand. And most importantly I’ve come out the other end with a screenplay I’m really proud of.”
- Adam Cece, The Last Viking Stag (Allan Loeb Round)
“All in all, no matter what the outcome of the contest, you walk away with pages of valuable notes and a completed spec script. The perfect reward.”
- Stephen Judge, The Man-Up (Allan Loeb Round)
“Writing a feature is such a big investment of time and energy, it’s not always clear whether or not it’s worth it. However, writing the first 15 pages of a screenplay is such a relatively small investment, you almost can’t afford not to. Then, if you’re lucky enough to be chosen as a finalist, you definitely can’t afford not to write the whole feature length script.”
- Alex Berger, Onu (Simon Kinberg Round)
“Of all the screenplay competitions in which I have been fortunate to be a finalist, this contest has been the most rewarding to my growth as a screenwriter.”
- Kenneth Lemm, Drum (Simon Kinberg Round)
“Thanks to all of you for a fantastic experience. I learned a lot about writing. More than I could have just reading the books or going to writing groups. The screenplay contest and my work with Anthony have been an integral part of my development as a writer.”
- Araby Patch, Spy Dad (Simon Kinberg Round)