Four Screenplays: Studies in the American Screenplay
Technology is transforming the art and craft of screenwriting. How does the writer find new ways to tell a story with pictures, to create a truly outstanding film? Syd Field shows what works, why, and how in four films: Thelma & Louise, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The Silence of the Lambs, and Dances with Wolves.
Journey with Syd Field through these extraordinary scripts, and learn how:
- Callie Khouri, in her first movie script, Thelma & Louise, rewrote the rules for good road movies and played against type to create a new American classic.
- James Cameron, writer/director of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, created a sequel integrating spectacular special effects and a storyline that transformed the Terminator, the quintessential killing machine, into a sympathetic character.
- Ted Talley adapted Thomas Harris’s chilling 350-page novel, The Silence of the Lambs, into a riveting 120-page script-a lesson in the art and craft of adapting novels into film.
- Michael Blake, author of Dances with Wolves, achieved every writer’s dream as he translated his novel into an uncompromising film. Learn how he used transformation as a spiritual dynamic in this work of mythic sweep.
Informative and utterly engrossing, Four Screenplays belongs in every writer's library, next to Field's highly acclaimed companion volumes, Screenplay, The Screenwriter's Workbook, and Selling a Screenplay.
- Publisher: Delta Publishing
- Date available: 08/01/1994
- Publication date: 08/01/1994
- Return policy: 30 days
Your satisfaction is our top priority. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return the item(s) for an exchange or refund within 30 days from the purchase date, unless otherwise noted on the product page.
Ship the item(s) to The Writers Store via a traceable and insured method. You will be responsible for return shipping fees.
Please include a completed Return Form with your shipment. Refunds take up to one week to process once we have received the item(s).
Software returns must be deactivated and uninstalled from your computer before a refund may be issued. Please contact the software manufacturer if you need assistance uninstalling or deactivating your software.
The following items are not returnable: Hollywood Creative Directories, DVDs (opened), and Gift Certificates.
Meet the Author: Syd Field
Acclaimed as "the guru of all screenwriters" (CNN), Syd Field is regarded by many Hollywood professionals to be the leading authority in the art and craft of screenwriting in the world today. The Hollywood Reporter calls him "the most sought-after screenwriting teacher in the world."
His internationally acclaimed best-selling books Screenplay, The Screenwriter's Workbook, and The Screenwriter's Problem Solver have established themselves as the "bibles" of the film industry. They are used in more than 395 colleges and universities and have been translated into 19 languages.
Field chaired the Academic Liaison Committee at T...